As the world’s largest economy and hub for private capital, the USA is a key market for many of our UK and international clients.
Whether you’re a corporate or private client, our US-facing team supports your needs in both directions, whether those needs are outbound into the US or inbound into the UK, Europe, Middle East, and Asia.
We’ve worked with some of America’s leading corporates, from established companies to start-ups. We can advise you on your international expansion, advising on corporate deals, immigration, employment, real estate, intellectual property, data protection, and contracts, giving you tailored advice every step of the way.
Our market-leading US/UK private client team acts for families and family offices, successful entrepreneurs, private banks, and wealth managers. We are particularly noted for our work dealing with US/UK tax planning and related issues.
If you are looking at expanding your business into the US or are faced with US legal issues, whether business or person, we work with leading US law firms from coast to coast to ensure you get a bespoke transatlantic team supporting them at every stage.
We understand the need to be connected to industry, regulators, and decision makers to expand our knowledge of the region where you conduct business. Through holding leadership positions with organisations such as BritishAmerican Business and the American Bar Association, we stay on top of the broader issues that may affect your business or personal matters.
- A UK-based US entrepreneur required a succession plan which we provided to overlay the future operation and ownership of business in the US and UK.
- Following the death of a guarantor, we advised on how a foreign guarantor trust should be decanted into a series of US domestic and foreign trusts.
- Working closely with local US counsel, we advised our client on the merits of bringing infringement action in the first instance on a cross-jurisdictional basis across GB, CN, JP, US and EP patents.
- We completed an exercise for a UK resident non-US individual on how to transfer his carried interest to a trust. This required balancing the UK inheritance tax advantages against the complex US and UK income tax treatment for the individual and his heirs.
- Our London and Paris offices worked together with a US security software company to bring about the lawful termination of their contract with a distributor in France by ensuring that proceedings were instigated in England rather than in France. This produced successful results for our client.
- In order to comply with data protection law requirements, we assisted a multinational, US headquartered construction company on legitimising personal data flows between the UK/EU and the US.
- Assisting US owned fund on outsourcing and commercial contracts for UK Based science park including facilities management, broker appointments and supply agreement terms
- Copyright Clearance Centre, a US based rights management organisiation required assistance with UK acquisition and multinational IT development and services agreements. Our technology team completed this work successfully.