Stewart Hey, Partner
Stewart specialises in complex and high value international disputes (both in Court and Arbitral forums), usually involving allegations of fraud, dishonesty and corruption.
SummaryStewart (who heads the Charles Russell Speechlys Fraud Group) specialises in complex and high value international disputes (both in Court and Arbitral forums), usually involving allegations of fraud, dishonesty and corruption, with particular emphasis on Financial Services and Energy and Natural Resources. As the vast majority of Stewart's cases involve allegations of fraud, dishonesty and corruption, key legal issues arising include conflicts of law, interim (injunctive) remedies to prevent dissipation of assets and/or preservation of evidence, asset recovery and tracing, as well as contentious insolvency scenarios.
His recent cases include acting as External Administrator (along with several other Charles Russell Speechlys partners) for Awal Bank BSC (in administration), as appointed by the Central Bank of Bahrain, in a multi-billion alleged fraudulent scheme involving a large number of related cases in multiple jurisdictions, where Stewart is in charge of cases relating to the US and Cayman. Stewart also led a team successfully acting for one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical wholesalers in relation to a complex high-value letter of credit fraud perpetrated on it by a fraudster, and which involved related proceedings in a number of jurisdictions in Europe, the Caribbean and the Pacific. He also has a great deal of experience in advising corporates in relation to product mis-selling within the financial services sector.
Stewart is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Advised one of the world's largest pharmaceutical wholesalers in a complex multi-jurisdictional letter of credit fraud
- Leading a team advising Joint Official Liquidators in connection with an alleged $9.2Bn fraud currently litigating before the Cayman Courts
- Advising individuals/entities in relation to an on-going SFO investigation into payments against a backdrop of multi-billion USD sales of defence equipment to the Middle East
- Led a team advising the Central Bank of Bahrain that forged new US Bankruptcy Ch11 law in the US against a backdrop of acting as External Administrator to a Middle Eastern Bank (in administration) and currently under US Ch15 recognition
- Advisor the joint-venture entities involved in a dispute relating to a West African mining project valued at between $800m-$1.5Bn
News & Insights
Commercial Litigation and Private Client teams are shortlisted for The Legal Business Awards 2017
Force majeure and Ebola - be specific
Force majeure - an event that is out of the control of contracting parties which releases parties from contractual obligations.