Latin America is a region of diverse and exciting opportunities.
Whether you are a Latin American individual or advisor, we can help you navigate the challenges of doing business and managing complex personal matters into and out of the region.
We know that you may look around the world to diversify your wealth and we can support your global interests by using our network of offices in the UK, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia where we have tax and relocation experts on the ground advising on local laws.
Where we do not have offices, our regional teams work with leading local law firms to support clients from or doing business in Latin America, North America, Africa, Israel, the Caribbean, India and China along with various countries in Europe.
Our Latin America team can advise you on:
- International private wealth structuring, succession, and governance
- Tax information exchange, transparency & other compliance
- Individual relocation to the UK, Switzerland and Italy
- Bilateral Investment Treaties (BIT) planning & other asset protection
- Business asset and IP holding structures
- Corporate re-domiciliation
- UK holding companies
- A Mexican family required a wealth structure covering investment in global markets, the transition of wealth to future generations, and implementing governance. We worked with their Mexican advisors to implement an international wealth structure covering all these aspects.
- We have significant experience advising UK and EU-based financial institutions working with relevant Latin America counsel, on international wealth planning for their clients in Mexico, Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, Peru, Colombia, and Chile.
- The trustees of a trust for the benefit of a Latin American family required our advice on the information to be disclosed under the Common Reporting Standard to ensure that clear and accurate information was provided in a manner consistent with domestic reporting by the family. This was achieved by the Latin America team.
- Latin American families often look overseas to relocate. We have worked with several on their move to Italy under the lump sum tax regime, including advising and obtaining rulings on the tax treatment of trusts, holding companies, and funds and of the sale of the business.
- We have advised several Latin American clients on obtaining a tax forfeit in Switzerland, their related offshore trust or company holdings, and Swiss-based activities. The Latin America team in our Swiss office deal with all Swiss-based activities efficiently.
- In anticipation of a potential expropriation, we advised a Venezuelan family on the early reorganisation of their in-country operations and ownership structure, using Dutch and Spanish holding companies, under a family trust. We have continued to advise the family on the expropriation process and compensation negotiations leading to proceedings before an international arbitration panel, which ultimately granted a favorable arbitration award.
- We advised Latin American families on ways to pool assets for private equity investments in Mexico through Canadian and UK partnerships.
- A Latin American service assistance business with operations in Mexico and other countries in Latin America required assistance with the reorganisation of its international structure connected to the NYSE listed company. Our work consisted of complex structuring work that considered options in Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Malta, and Mexico. We then assisted in the migration of Dutch companies from the Netherlands to Luxembourg and, their subsequent migration to Mexico.
- We advised a Mexican family on an international wealth structure with the aim to preserve wealth and succession across multiple generations as well as for charity purposes in Luxembourg.
- As part of a reorganization involving a business taking on new equity funding from an institutional investor, we have advised Latin American founder and initial investor clients on the corporate and commercial terms of transferring their interests in local subsidiaries in Chile and the US into a UK holding company. This also involved advising on a new employee share option plan enabling options to be granted over shares in the UK holding company to employees in Chile and the US.