As the high net worth population continues to surge, China presents an unparalleled market for individual and corporate clients, leading them to a journey of capital growth and prosperity.
Whether you are a leading investment group, company, or individual, our bilingual team is here to support you with your Chinese interests, whether they relate to inward investment into China or involve taking your business or personal needs outward to the rest of the world.
Through the knowledge and experience of our cross-divisional and cross-office China team, we understand the complex and ever-changing legal issues you are likely to face.
For Chinese clients
We know the key legal issues you are likely to face when operating internationally, and through our offices in the UK, Europe, Switzerland, Middle East and Asia – working alongside our global network of relationship firms - we can help you realise your ambitions wherever they take you.
Our corporate teams can advise you on the best options for you as an individual or business wishing to trade or establish a business presence in our locations. We can also advise on broader issues including private client, family, immigration, employment, real estate, construction & engineering, intellectual property and sport.
If a dispute arises, our dispute resolution practice of over 200 lawyers across our office network supports Chinese clients on a uniquely broad range of services from private wealth disputes to litigating on behalf of major companies.
For companies going into China
We partner with leading Chinese firms for ‘on the ground’ advice when our clients need local support. These firms have been selected to match our standards for legal expertise, client service and values. You’ll get a seamless service across time zones with responsive, on-the-ground advice. We’ll put together a bespoke legal team operating as one as we coordinate advice and manage costs on your behalf.
We also use our own office in Hong Kong to advise clients doing business in the wider region. Our expertise covers corporate, dispute resolution, real estate and private client advice with bilingual lawyers qualified locally and internationally.
For Chinese law firms
Visit our China Series hub for short training videos, insights and events for Chinese lawyers advising their clients doing business across borders.
- Advising a high-profile individual (worth over USD3+ billion) who was a major shareholder of a company currently listed on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (the Listco) on the setting up of a complex trust structure to hold his shareholding in the Listco and his personal assets.
- Advising UHNW individuals from a family that founded a well-known real estate development company in China in the purchase of a high value property in London.
- Advising an UHNW individual in the purchase of over GBP 15 million luxury apartment and garage in a development in London.
- Advising a Chinese / Saudi / Bahraini consortium in relation to the design, construction and operation of the Al Dur II IWPP independent water and power plant in the Kingdom of Bahrain including ongoing contract administration, construction phase advisory and claims / dispute services. The project value is USD 1.5 billion. The team recently won highly commended “Construction Team of the Year” for the work undertaken on this matter to date which included the use of an innovative dispute resolution strategy.
- Advising Haier, the world’s largest electrical and home appliances group, in relation to its operations in the Middle East on all aspects of legal and commercial activities including the protection and enforcement of Haier’s core brands within the Middle East including managing commercial arrangements with its brand partners and ensuring the protection of licensing IP rights with distributors.