Edith Lai, Senior Associate
Edith specialises in advising institutional lenders, private banks, non-bank lenders, borrowers and private equity and venture capital firms on a variety of banking and finance transactions, including corporate lending, debt and equity financing and debt restructuring.
Her focus includes real estate investment and development finance across a wide range of asset classes: commercial and residential properties, data centres, aparthotels and student accommodations. She has experience in cross-border transactions, in particular, acting for lenders and investors based in the Far East.
Edith is fluent in written and spoken Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese). She is part of our Asia Focus Group, which coordinates the firm’s business campaign in Asia.
Edith is active within the Chinese business community in the UK. She chairs the Business Network of the Hong Kong Society, a leading professional networking group which aims to foster closer ties between the UK and Hong Kong.
Edith is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Acting for a leading Singapore-listed property developer on the debt financing of their investment in central London offices and development of an aparthotel complex in London.Acting for a major Asian bank on the financing for the acquisition and development of aparthotels in Central London.
- Acting for a leading European bank in relation to a multicurrency uncommitted receivable financing to a leading multinational construction group
- Acting for Rockpool Investments on a series of its debt investments towards management buy outs in SMEs.
- Advising an English commercial real estate investment group in relation to its financing from multiple lenders for the development of a data centre in the Midlands
- Acting for the portfolio companies of FPE Capital including the financing for the bolt-on acquisition for David Phillips, the leading furniture supplier in the UK to the professional residential property market
Healthcare team advises Country Court Care on £57m sale of three care homes
Country Court Care Group Ltd has been active almost 35 years as a nursing and care home operator.
Charles Russell Speechlys advises Rockpool Investments on the buyout of Datum Alloys
Datum Alloys is the leading steel stencil foil manufacturer in Europe and the USA.
Charles Russell Speechlys advises Country Court Care on acquisition of three care homes
Country Court Care has undergone rapid expansion over the last nine years.
Charles Russell Speechlys advises Country Court Care on refinancing
Country Court’s portfolio currently comprises 30 freehold care homes, with seven opened over the past two years.
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP has advised 1Spatial PLC on its partial disposal of Enables IT Group Limited
This disposal will allow a greater focus on 1Spatial's core global geospatial business.