With one of the largest and fastest growing economies in the world, India is an exciting place for global business and entrepreneurs.
Our India team provides the personal touch that comes from a deep understanding and extensive experience advising clients with interests in the Indian market.
Headed by Rupa Lakha, our team includes lawyers in our London and Dubai offices, some of whom have either lived and worked in India or maintain close ties. They know the issues that arise from the UK – India personal and business connections and will use this experience and understanding to guide you.
Whether you’re a British Asian entrepreneur with complex UK and cross-border issues, an Indian business with global interests or an international corporate operating in India, we will work alongside you to understand your needs.
We have strong relationships with some of India’s leading law firms and other professional advisers to provide ‘on the ground’ advice if you require local support. We regularly partner with them on events and insights to ensure our clients are up-to-date on the issues that affect them.
We can advise you on the full range of personal and business issues. This expert advice is backed by a deep understand of the sectors our clients operate in, including Retail and Leisure, Real Estate, Construction, Sport, Healthcare, TMT, Financial Services and Energy & Natural Resources.
- We act for privately owned investment bank Elara Capital.
- An Indian contractor required our advice on appealing an international arbitration award before the court of appeal in Paris.
- We advised the Lakhani family and others on the disposal of Kolak to Europe Snacks. In addition, we continue to represent Europe Snacks in relation to their UK interests.
- Advising clients on disputes relating to commercial arrangements between offshore companies and Indian state entities
- We acted for an Indian UHNW individual in relation to setting up a UK structure and acquiring their first UK real estate.
- We advised Fudco, on its sale to Vibrant Foods, a portfolio company of global private equity house Exponent.
- TDR Capital LLP and the Issa brothers called for our advice on the real estate aspects of ASDA acquisition.
- The Bhatia family and other minority shareholders were selling their creatively led children’s book publishing business, Little Tiger Group to Penguin Random House, which we were able to advise them on.
- We acted for an Indian HNWI on his UK property interests, which includes the structuring of a property asset to be split between a hotel and PRS scheme (including both property and construction advice), a corporate demerger and tax advice.
- We advise a London based investment manager, authorised and regulated by the FCA, who manages Indian investments and was for a time owned by a major Indian financial institution, on various regulatory issues, including trade reporting.
- We acted for a provider of debt finance to a subsidiary of a listed Indian conglomerate.
- We advised the major shareholder in Vedanta Resources and also advised Vedanta Resources itself on corporate governance and other securities laws compliance during the period when its shares were listed on the main market of the London Stock Exchange.
- We act for India Capital Growth Fund Limited, a closed-ended investment company with a premium listing on the FCA’s Official List and traded on the main market of the London Stock Exchange. Notable transactions we have advised the Company on include the move of its listing from AIM to the main market and the amendment of its articles of incorporation to include an innovative redemption facility.
- We acted for Eden Investment Holding Company Pte Limited, on its unconditional mandatory offer for Eredene Capital Limited (an investment company investing in Indian infrastructure with a focus on port services, logistics and warehousing). Subsequently we advised Eredene Capital Limited on returning capital to its shareholders as it exited its investments.