William has more than 25 years of experience advising on matters ranging from seed series investments for start-ups, to complex, multi-billion dollar matters across numerous jurisdictions. His experience includes advising on M&A, joint ventures, private equity and venture capital transactions, restructurings and compliance matters.
William’s client base is very diverse and includes local and international clients across a broad range of industry sectors with a particular focus on technology, healthcare, retail, energy and real estate. He is regularly invited to speak at industry and legal events related to these sectors and various other areas.
Prior to moving to the Middle East in 2015, William was based in Moscow, Russia for ten years where he was a founding partner and head of the office of a major international firm. During his tenure in Russia, William advised on some of the largest and most complex M&A, joint venture and private equity investments and transactions in the Russian market. His international experience also includes work in Brussels, Belgium and Paris, France.
William is a dual-qualified lawyer admitted in Minnesota, USA and as a Solicitor, England and Wales. He speaks English, Russian, French and Spanish.
- Represented a leading Abu Dhabi-based investment group in respect of a portfolio of distressed asset and share purchases from a healthcare solutions provider, which was a wholly-owned subsidiary of NMC Healthcare.
- Represented a leading regional investment management company in the UAE on its purchase of the Limited Partner interest in Wamda Capital, one of the most active venture capital funds in the MENA region, from Abraaj Holdings.
- Represented two MENA-based private equity funds on the equity portion of their debt/equity investment in a group of companies providing IT and TMT solutions throughout Africa, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.
- Represented a leading UAE-based family in its negotiations with its joint venture partner for the reorganization of a group of companies holding retail, media and real estate assets, and the eventual disposition of its stake in the joint venture.
- Assisted a provider of IT and business outsourcing services with the $100,000,000 issue of shares to a consortium of a leading European private equity fund, a sovereign wealth fund, and an international development bank.