Available in other languages: 中文(中国)
Owen Chan, Associate
Owen provides legal advice to individuals and businesses on a wide range of UK immigration issues, with a growing practice focusing on assisting Asian and Chinese clients and companies to relocate to the UK.
Owen frequently assists high net worth individuals and their families with their personal immigration matters. His experience includes advising on the Tier 1 Investor route, the EU Settlement Scheme, family applications by partners of British and EEA citizens, Student visas, Visitor visas and the requirements to settle in the UK permanently and to apply for citizenship. He works with his clients’ other advisors closely to deliver a comprehensive and integrated service, particularly in relation to on-going investor visa portfolio monitoring and compliance.
Owen also advises employers on visas for their Skilled Workers and on transfers of senior or specialist employees, as well as the employer’s sponsor licence obligations and right-to-work checks. He helps clients navigate the complexities surrounding Brexit and formulate solutions that best serve their objectives.
His experience also includes advising on complex British nationality claims, and cases involving unusual family circumstances and visa refusals particularly where there are allegations of deception, resulting in the client being able to enter or remain in the UK due to a successful challenge to UKVI’s decisions.
Owen presents regularly on immigration matters at seminars and conferences in the UK and in Asia. He is also familiar with immigration applications in other jurisdictions in the EU and worldwide, and has experience in co-ordinating parallel applications.
Owen is a native Cantonese and Mandarin speaker and has particularly good knowledge of Asia. He frequently acts as an interpreter for Chinese clients.
- Successful complex investor visa extension where the client had prior visa refusals from the UK and overseas
- Successful entry clearance and extension cases involving sole parental responsibility in relation to children’s upbringing
- Advising the distributor of a well-known international mobile phone manufacturer on setting up and transferring key personnel to operate in the UK, and providing on-going visa compliance advice
- Advising on a complex EU Settlement Scheme application involving long periods of absence
- Providing on-going investor visa portfolio compliance advice to well-known international banks and investment managers
Relocating to the UK – Post Tier 1 (Investor)
The UK government closed the Tier 1 Investor visa route with immediate effect on 17 February 2022.
The UK’s New Skilled Worker & Intra-Company Visa Routes
Watch our third in a series of webinars on post-Brexit mobility.