Owen Chan, Associate
Owen provides legal advice to individuals and businesses on a wide range of UK immigration issues.
AboutOwen advises employers on visas for migrant workers under the Representative of an Overseas Business visa and Tier 2 of the Points-Based System, as well as the employer’s sponsor licence obligations and right-to-work checks. Owen also frequently assists high net worth individuals and their families with their personal immigration matters. His experience includes advising on the Tier 1 Investor route, the EU Settlement Scheme, family applications by partners of British and EEA citizens, Tier 4, Tier 5, Visitor visas and the requirements to settle in the UK permanently and to apply for citizenship.
His experience also includes advising on complex cases and visa refusals particularly where there are allegations of deception, resulting in the client being able to enter or remain in the UK due to a successful challenge to UKVI’s decisions.
Owen is familiar with immigration applications in other jurisdictions in the EU and has experience in co-ordinating parallel applications.
Owen is a native Cantonese and Mandarin speaker and has particularly good knowledge of Asia. He frequently acts as an interpreter for Chinese clients.
- Successful complex Representative of an Overseas Business visa application for a senior employee in a US-listed insurance company and his dependants
- Accompanying a Chinese investor to Home Office interviews concerning the underlying investment structure and the application and ensuring his instructions are accurately translated
- Successful visit visa refusal challenge in relation to spent caution
- Successful complex spouse visa application demonstrating there are exceptional circumstances where a visa refusal would result in unjustifiably harsh consequences for the applicant in relation to her human rights and would lead to insurmountable obstacles to family life with her partner
- Experience in putting together and filing a sponsor licence application on an urgent basis