Robert advises financial institutions and high-net-worth families on international wealth structuring, with a focus on tax, information exchange and estate planning and the international regulatory environment, particularly for families in Canada, Latin America and Europe. He also advises on political risk mitigation strategies for international and in-country assets, on mergers and acquisitions in the trust and corporate service provider industries, and on Canadian transnational trust companies.
Robert speaks regularly on international taxation and information exchange, particularly from a Canadian and Latin American perspective. He is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and the Canadian Tax Foundation.
Robert is admitted to practise in Québec.
- Advising a high-net-worth family (with assets and family members in several jurisdictions) to develop and implement their global estate plan and on international information exchange and transparency including the Common Reporting Standard.
- Advising a high-net-worth family residing in Latin America together with their local counsel in connection with an international estate plan.
- Advising a European client in connection with a complex voluntary disclosure in Canada for past Canadian tax defaults. The disclosure involves several other taxpayers and so presented novel issues to protect all of the parties involved.
- Advising a Canadian financial institution to advise on client structures for internal compliance risk purposes.
- Advising an American financial institution in connection with wealth structuring options for clients in Latin America including advice on information exchange initiatives such as the Common Reporting Standard. This work involves coordinating significant cross-border advice and liaison with local counsel in a number of jurisdictions.