Michael Wells-Greco, Partner
Michael advises individuals, banks and other organisations on cross-border private client and international family law matters.
Michael is Head of the Geneva office. He advises individuals, banks and other organisations on cross-border private client and international family law matters. Able to approach both common law and civil law issues from a practical perspective, Michael advises on all aspects of complex international succession planning and wealth structuring, with a particular focus on advising on bilateral investments and tax treaty structuring, governance and asset protection aspects.
In the field of family law, Michael deals with a wide range of cross-border family work including divorce, financial claims, cohabitation issues, surrogacy, adoption and private law children disputes. His work usually has an international perspective, often involving tax and trust implications, substantial assets or income.
Michael is ranked in the Chambers HNW and Legal 500 directories. In 2018 he was shortlisted for the award of International Family Lawyer of the Year (Jordans).
Michael is an Assistant Professor in private international law and international family law at Maastricht University and is a consultant lawyer to the Permanent Bureau of the Hague Conference on Private International Law. Michael is an active member of Resolution’s International Committee.
His recent work includes:
• La Gestation Pour Autrui - www.helbing.ch/detail/ISBN-9783719041106/La-gestation-pour-autrui
• The status of children arising from inter-country surrogacy arrangements, has been published by Eleven International (2015)
• Global Private International Law - www.e-elgar.com/shop/global-private-international-law
• European Union Law - https://global.oup.com/academic/product/european-union-law-9780198818854?cc=us&lang=en&
Michael is admitted to practise in England and Wales, the British Virgin Islands and is admitted to the EU list of the supervisory commission of lawyers for the canton of Geneva (Switzerland).
ODA (Geneva Bar association)
FSA (Swiss Bar association)
Resolution STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practioners)
+41 (0)22 591 1880 (CH)
+44 (0)20 7427 6763 (UK)
- Advising on cross-border nuptial and separation agreements requiring specific expertise in complex financial cases
- Acting in Anglo-Swiss maintenance enforcement proceedings
- Acting in stay proceedings for a high-net-worth individual whose spouse had issued divorce proceedings in England; a non-EU jurisdiction was more appropriate in the circumstances of the case
- Providing wealth planning advice with a commercial edge for entrepreneurs with assets in multiple jurisdictions
- Advised an international family on succession and governance issues, creating a structure to implement the family’s long term succession plans for their personal assets and business interests
Michael Wells-Greco quoted in The Telegraph, the Daily Mail and Yahoo on the Court of Appeal's decision in the transgender parent case
International surrogacy arrangements and planning for the unexpected
COVID-19 is worrying for everyone but especially those who are expecting a child and unable to travel.