Michael Wells-Greco, Partner
Michael advises individuals, banks and other organisations on cross-border private client and international family law matters.
SummaryMichael advises individuals, banks and other organisations on cross-border private client and international family law matters. He is able to approach both common law and civil law issues from a practical perspective, Michael advises on all aspects of complex international succession planning and wealth structuring, with a particular focus on advising on bilateral investment and tax treaty structuring, governance and asset protection aspects. In the field of family law, Michael deals with a wide range of cross-border family work including divorce, financial claims, cohabitation issues, surrogacy and private law children disputes.
His work usually has an international perspective, often involving tax and trust implications, substantial assets or income. Michael is an Assistant Professor in private international law and international family law at Maastricht University and is a consultant lawyer to the Permanent Bureau of the Hague Conference on Private International Law. Michael is an active member of Resolution’s International Committee. Michael’s book, The status of children arising from inter-country surrogacy arrangements, has been published by Eleven International (2015). He is also a co-author of Horspool, Humphreys and Wells-Greco’s textbook, European Union Law (10th edition, 2018).
Michael regularly writes articles/chapters for industry publications including:
• La Gestation Pour Autrui - www.helbing.ch/detail/ISBN-9783719041106/La-gestation-pour-autrui
• Global Private International Law - www.e-elgar.com/shop/global-private-international-law
• European Union Law - https://global.oup.com/academic/product/european-union-law-9780198818854?cc=us&lang=en&
Michael is admitted to practise in England and Wales, the British Virgin Islands and is admitted to the EU list of the supervisory commission of lawyers for the canton of Geneva (Switzerland).
+41 (0)22 591 1880 (CH)
+44 (0)20 7427 6763 (UK)
- Advising on cross-border nuptial and separation agreements requiring specific expertise in complex financial cases
- Acting in Anglo-Swiss maintenance enforcement proceedings
- Acting in stay proceedings for a high-net-worth individual whose spouse had issued divorce proceedings in England; a non-EU jurisdiction was more appropriate in the circumstances of the case
- Providing wealth planning advice with a commercial edge for entrepreneurs with assets in multiple jurisdictions
- Advised an international family on succession and governance issues, creating a structure to implement the family’s long term succession plans for their personal assets and business interests
News & Insights
Collecting Evidence in Switzerland – Dos and Don’ts
A number of States, including Switzerland, have enacted blocking statutes which may hinder or prevent the taking of evidence
Wills for Brits living in, or with assets in, Switzerland
If you are British and live abroad the jurisdiction governing the execution of your Will may be more unclear than you would expect.
Britain votes to leave the EU: The implications for your business and your sector
Today is a historical milestone: The UK has voted to leave the European Union in a country-wide referendum.