John Sykes, Partner
John specialises in corporate and commercial litigation, arbitration and mediation and much of his work is international in nature.
SummaryJohn is a recognised as a leading litigator for UK and international dispute resolution and specialises in commercial litigation, arbitration and mediation. He is a specialist in corporate dispute resolution currently working with companies and individuals in shareholder and joint venture disputes, director duties, Share Purchase Agreement claims, partnership and claims of corporate fraud. International work this year has included work in the USA, Sierra Leone, Zambia, France, Norway and the Middle East. John acted for the successful Respondent in the leading case on share valuation Irvine v Irvine.
Additionally, John acts for global technology firms in complex technology development dispute and he is currently working on a cross border trade agreement between France, the US and England, claims regarding installation of smart meter technology in homes and between leading mobile telephony operators.
John's work in financial services includes the multi billion dollar Awal litigation, complex aviation financing, and enforcement of loan agreements. John works for early and successful resolution of client’s dispute using the most cost effective tools of litigation and mediation.
John is admitted to practise in England and Wales and has experience of the courts of Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, USA, France, Scotland, Dubai, Cyprus and Arbitral Bodies including ICC and LCIA.
- Irvine v Irvine; shareholders dispute which set the standard for minority discount on valuation of shares
- Hadley Keeble and Norman v Gary Kemp; the Spandau Ballet litigation
- De Beers v Atos EWHC 3276 (TCC); limitation of loss in IT development
- Awal Bank v Various; the world’s largest fraud case
- National Bank of Greece (Cyprus) Limited v Ioanna Christofi Republic of Uzbekistan v Oxus Gold
- Confidential arbitration includes wind farms, data sites, minority shareholder claims, complex technology and claims under Bilateral Investment Treaties
News & Insights
Commercial Law Handbook: Second Edition
Edited by Partner David Berry, the Commercial Law Handbook examines the structure of the most commonly encountered transactions
Charles Russell Speechlys highly commended at the Middle East Legal Awards 2017
Charles Russell Speechlys recognised last week as a Finalist in three “Team of the Year” categories in the Middle East Legal Awards 2017.