Kerry Stares, Partner, Responsible Business & Pro Bono
Kerry leads the efforts we make as a firm to operate responsibly.
Kerry leads the efforts we make as a firm to operate responsibly, to support our clients to achieve their sustainability objectives and to ensure that our business has a positive impact for our people, our communities and our natural environment. She also leads the firm’s Pro Bono practice, which provides access to free legal advice for individuals who need support to access justice and for small charities and social enterprises.
Kerry is a senior commercial litigator and solicitor advocate. She has extensive knowledge of the non-profit sector and social justice work, having held senior legal and management roles at leading international charities. Before joining Charles Russell Speechlys Kerry was the Global Head of Legal at TrustLaw (Thomson Reuters Foundation) – the world’s largest Pro Bono innovation and connection platform.
- Co-chairs the firm’s Responsible Business Steering Group
- Oversees and coordinates our thought leadership and advisory work on environmental, social and governance issues
- Leads the firm’s participation in the Greece Pro Bono Collaborative - training and deploying our lawyers to the Greek Islands of Lesvos and Samos to support asylum seekers
- Leads our Disability Benefits Appeals work with Zacchaeus 2000 Trust, training lawyers from across the firm to help people appeal negative decisions in the First-Tier Tribunal
- Established the first pro bono clinics in the UK via webcam enabling our lawyers to reach people in legal advice deserts outside London and to continue providing pro bono advice to people on low incomes during the COVID-19 shutdown.
- Manages the firm’s partnership with Social Business Trust (SBT) through which the firm provides pro bono support to help SBT’s portfolio of UK charities and social enterprises scale-up their reach and impact.
The Nature and Prevalence of Pro Bono Partner Roles Globally hosted by DLA Piper
A conversation with four Pro Bono Partners
The Lawyer, New Law Journal, International Adviser, CDR Magazine and eprivateclient report on the firm's partner promotions
Charles Russell Speechlys promoted five lawyers to partner, effective 1 May 2021.
Linking ESG and Executive Pay
How does a business go about embedding a focus on strong ESG performance into the structures and culture of its organisation?
Charles Russell Speechlys promotes five to Partner
The promotions are effective 1 May 2021 and are accompanied by one Legal Director and 15 Senior Associate promotions.
The Guardian and Legal Week report on the firm's involvement in the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants' Windrush Justice Initiative
The scheme aims to compensate those affected by the Windrush scandal.
Charles Russell Speechlys partners with Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants and seven other law firms to assist Windrush victims apply for compensation
Charles Russell Speechlys to assist Windrush victims apply for compensation
Doing Business Responsibly: Food & Beverage
A return to growth will be a priority post-pandemic for F&B businesses, and doing business responsibly could help you to achieve it
Doing well by doing good is no longer just an ethical choice.
Charles Russell Speechlys supports Emmaus through pro bono legal support, fundraising and developing volunteering projects for staff and clients
Read about our emergency COVID-19 appeal - Project Companion.
Our pro bono work is helping to feed NHS workers nationwide fighting COVID-19.
Launching our partnership with Social Business Trust
We are excited to be working with some Britain’s most exciting charities and social enterprises.