Pro Bono is part of our core practice as a Firm.
We treat our pro bono clients as we do our paying clients and support all our lawyers to get involved - at all levels of seniority and whatever their area of expertise. We provide free legal advice to help disadvantaged groups get access to justice and to support charities and social enterprises providing vital services.
- We train and deploy our lawyers for 2-week secondments to the Greek islands of Lesvos and Samos to help asylum seekers navigate the asylum process, switching to a remote model during the COVID-19 pandemic to ensure this vital support continued.
- We assist survivors of the Windrush scandal to navigate the complex process to apply for compensation under the UK Government’s Windrush Compensation Scheme.
- We run weekly pro bono legal advice clinics in partnership with frontline legal advice centres on issues of family, employment and housing law, providing a vital service to individuals who cannot otherwise access legal support. These clinics were set-up as innovative webcam clinics, aimed at reaching people outside London where pro bono help is scarce. We were the first commercial law firm in the UK to launch such a webcam clinic model, and this provided the basis for us and other firms to continue to run our clinics during the COVID-19 lockdown.
- A partner-led team from across our UK offices represents disabled people at the First-Tier Tribunal to appeal the withdrawal of disability benefits.
- We provide free commercial legal advice for a wide range of small charities and innovative social enterprises, including assisting a domestic violence shelter with securing a newlease and advising a charity supporting blind and visually impaired people on the sale of major works of art left to them in a will.
Meat the social impact team
European Lawyers in Lesvos Pro Bono Secondment
Since 2019, our volunteer lawyers have undertaken pro bono secondments as part of a collaborative project with legal charity, European Lawyers in Lesvos.
Supporting access to justice in the Middle East
Our lawyers have been volunteering with DIFC Courts at an advice clinic in the Middle East, offering free legal advice to individuals in the DIFC area who cannot afford representation.
Pro bono assistance to form charity supporting former Afghan interpreters in British Army
Our Charities, Employment and Commercial teams proudly provide Sulha Alliance with pro bono support.
My Pro Bono Story
This Pro Bono Week 2023 we showcase the impactful pro bono work our staff have been involved with this year.
Family and Employment law assistance in legal advice deserts
The collaboration was set-up so that our lawyers could direct their support to a geographic area of great legal need, namely Plymouth and the South-West.
Windrush Day 2023: Commemorating 75 Years since the Arrival of HMT Empire Windrush
This June marks 75 years since that arrival and represents a time to celebrate the Windrush Generation.
World Refugee Day 2023
World Refugee Day takes place each year on 20 June, and we are looking forward to marking the occasion again this year.
Spotlight on using Pro Bono to respond to the climate crisis
The Chancery Lane Project is an industry initiative which helps lawyers to integrate climate change considerations into contracts.
My Pro Bono Story
This UK Pro Bono Week 2022, we celebrated our Firm’s pro bono achievements through ‘My Pro Bono Story’.
Windrush Day 2022 – supporting access to justice
Charles Russell Speechlys is proud to continue supporting survivors of the Windrush scandal in their fight for justice.
Pro bono support for major office premises move for charity in Stoke-on-Trent
Emmaus entities provide safe homes, community support and meaningful work to formerly homeless people across the UK.
Pro bono client Everyday Plastic launches collaboration with Greenpeace UK
Are you aware of how much plastic is passing through your home? Do you know what happens to it?
Pro bono assistance to register charity supporting families living with Long Covid
This registration has been a crucial step for the organisation to open up the possibilities of expansion and much-needed fundraising.
Pro bono client The Matrix Trust opens The Hideaway café in Guildford
Profits from every purchase at the café are fed back into Matrix youth projects.
National Pro Bono Week 2021: Z2K’s Disability Benefit Appeals initiative
In 2019, Charles Russell Speechlys joined forces with Zacchaeus 2000 Trust a frontline legal services charity.
Pro bono partnership with Atkins and Z2K sees successful first Disability Benefit Appeals case
Charles Russell Speechlys launched our partnership with Atkins and Zacchaeus 2000 Trust to take on Disability Benefit Appeals cases.
Pro bono advice helps charity acquire properties for homeless people
Transform is a Surrey-based charity providing housing and support to more than 1,700 homeless and vulnerable people every year.
Carers Week sees Charles Russell Speechlys partner with Martin Searle Solicitors and Frenkel Topping to deliver pilot pro bono “Ask the Experts” legal session for Bromley Mencap
Charles Russell Speechlys has partnered with Martin Searle Solicitors and Frenkel Topping
The Nature and Prevalence of Pro Bono Partner Roles Globally hosted by DLA Piper
A conversation with four Pro Bono Partners
Charles Russell Speechlys partners with Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants and seven other law firms to assist Windrush victims apply for compensation
Charles Russell Speechlys to assist Windrush victims apply for compensation
Pro bono partnership between Charles Russell Speechlys and Social Business Trust
Our partnership with Social Business Trust (SBT) is going from strength to strength.
Assisting asylum seekers in Greece
In November 2019, we joined a unique pro bono collaboration with five other firms to support asylum seekers in Lesvos.
Pro Bono Webcam Clinics
Charles Russell Speechlys have converted all of their pro bono clinics to a fully remote service.
Charles Russell Speechlys supports Emmaus through pro bono legal support, fundraising and developing volunteering projects for staff and clients
Read about our emergency COVID-19 appeal - Project Companion.
Kerry Stares quoted in Legal Week on the firm's continued involvement with the Bethnal Green Legal Advice Centre during the current lockdown
Our pro bono work is helping to feed NHS workers nationwide fighting COVID-19.