Tom Shaw, Partner
Resident corporate and commercial partner of our Hong Kong office.
Tom has many years’ experience in dealing with advisory and transactional work for public and private businesses including mergers, acquisitions, sales, joint ventures, reorganisations and securities issues.
He is part of our cross practice group focusing on clients and their businesses from Hong Kong, mainland China and ASEAN countries, in particular in relation to outbound investments and acquisitions into the UK and the rest of Europe.
Tom works closely with our private wealth specialists in Hong Kong on issues relating to family held companies including:
- ownership and management succession planning;
- divestments and demergers in shareholder disputes;
- advice in the context of matrimonial disputes where a business and corporate assets are a significant element of the family wealth.
As well as advising on regular M&A, structuring and IPO work Tom has a solid track record of advising on complex and less run-of-the-mill projects such as:
- the reorganisation of PA Consulting involving the demerger of its venture capital business by scheme of arrangement, s.110 reconstruction, and reductions and returns of capital;
- the demerger of the family businesses of a Hong Kong tycoon in the context of an unfair prejudice action and numerous other disputes.
Other more unusual matters include advising:
- a Guernsey based seller in the sale of a Hong Kong company administration business to a Swiss based buyer;
- the trustees in the reorganisation of the A to Z map business;
- London clubs on their ownership and membership structures;
- Ahlstrom Corporation, a global leader in nonwovens and specialty papers and quoted on the NASDAQ OMX Helsinki, in its acquisition of Shandong Puri Filter & Paper Products Limited in China, a project that spanned over four years.
IBA Annual Conference 2019
The International Bar Association (IBA) heads to Seoul for its 2019 annual conference.
Charles Russell Speechlys celebrates first anniversary in Hong Kong
It’s a year since Charles Russell Speechlys opened its Hong Kong office.
Charles Russell Speechlys and Jonathan Mok Legal featured by Hong Kong Government's Legal Hub
The Government of Hong Kong has posted a video interview featuring Tom Shaw and Jonathan Mok on its Legal Hub website.