Tim Maxwell, Partner
Tim is an accomplished litigator experienced in cross border disputes. Tim is also a recognised leader in the field of art law, including art litigation, and that relating to other luxury assets including wine, yachts and cars.
Tim combines commercial litigation and private wealth expertise with a market leading specialism in art law. Tim’s clients include financial institutions, individuals, family businesses, charities and other luxury asset focused businesses.
Tim separately represents clients across the spectrum of the art world including artists, auction houses, collectors, dealers, galleries and institutions. Tim has acted in cases involving artists’ rights, art finance, attribution, authenticity, cultural and underwater cultural property/treasure, dealer disputes, disputed ownership, fraud, fakes, guarantees, misattribution, pledges, provenance, recovery, restitution and street art. Tim’s practice extends to other luxury assets and collectibles including classic cars, wine, jewellery and yachts.
He also guest lectures at Sotheby’s Institute of Art, Christie’s Education, Institute of Art & Law, University of Glasgow and various international conferences.
Tim is recognised in Legal 500, Chambers, Chambers HNW, Who's Who Legal and Spear's 500 and was Lawyer of the Week in The Times.
- Acting on some of the most substantial art and luxury asset refinancings in recent times;
- Advising clients, including trustees, in numerous matters involving auction houses;
- Claims concerning disputed provenance including notable historic or royal collections and cultural/underwater cultural property;
- Numerous claims concerning street art including the recovery of a Banksy mural from the US and the use by major brands of artwork;
- Cases relating to the recent economic crises including Iceland, UK and South America.