Thanos is a construction partner based in Dubai. He has more than 25 years’ experience as an arbitration, litigation and construction practitioner in high profile projects in the Middle East, Europe and Africa in a wide range of industries across the entire project cycle (from drafting and negotiating to dispute resolution). He regularly serves as lead counsel in arbitrations in the Middle East and in Europe.
He is the author of several publications in the fields of arbitration and construction law and he regularly speaks in international fora.
Thanos Karvelis is admitted to practice in Greece and United Arab Emirates.
- UNCITRAL arbitration acting for a major international contractor against the employer (a joint venture of a local and a major international developer) in relation to a high-end mixed-use development (marina, housing units and commercial buildings) in Cyprus (applicable law: Cyprus, seat: Nicosia).
- ICC arbitration acting for a high-profile local contractor against the employer (a government entity) in relation to a major industrial project in Qatar (applicable law: Qatar, seat: Doha).
- Advising a major international contractor (in joint venture with a major European operator) in the international tender process for the construction and operation of a Waste-to-Energy facility in Malta.
- ICC arbitration (including two ad hoc adjudications) acting for a major international contractor against the employer (a major local developer) in relation to a renowned housing project in Bahrain (applicable law: Bahrain, seat: Bahrain);
- ADCCAC arbitration acting for the contractor against the employer regarding a construction project (hospital) in Abu Dhabi (applicable law: UAE, seat: Abu Dhabi);