Thanos Karvelis, Partner
Thanos is a Partner with more than 20 years’ experience as an arbitration, litigation and construction practitioner.
Thanos is a Partner with more than 20 years’ experience as an arbitration, litigation and construction practitioner based in Dubai. He has a strong track-record in multi-billion, cross-border projects, cases and transactions, including mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures in a wide range of industries, such as construction, cement, energy, banks, hospitality, across the entire project life cycle (from drafting and negotiating to dispute resolution).
Thanos regularly serves as lead counsel in international commercial and construction arbitrations in Europe and the Middle East, both ad hoc and before arbitration institutions including ICC, LCIA, DIAC, ADCCAC and DIFC-LCIA. He also frequently handles or supervises arbitral award enforcement proceedings in various jurisdictions.
Thanos is the author of several publications in the fields of arbitration law and construction law and he regularly speaks in international fora on issues relating to international arbitration. He is also listed with DIAC as a qualified Arbitrator. Thanos has been registered with the Dubai Government Legal Affairs Department since 2014. He is also a registered practitioner under Part II (Right of Audience) with the DIFC Courts since 2015.
He has worked on projects, transactions and disputes in and/or involving many different jurisdictions in Europe (Albania, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Germany, Greece, Italy, Romania, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey, UK), Middle East (Bahrain, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, UAE) and Africa (Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Ghana, Niger, Nigeria). As a result, Thanos is accustomed to working in varied legal frameworks and has a strong grasp of local laws and procedures.
Thanos was admitted to the Athens Bar in 1994, holds an MSc in Business and is ranked in Chambers Global as “very eloquent” in relation to his negotiation skills.
- UNCITRAL arbitration acting for the contractor against the employer in relation to a major mixed use development (marina, housing units and commercial buildings) in Cyprus (applicable law: Cyprus, seat: Nicosia).
- ICC arbitrator acting for the contractor against the employer in relation to a major industrial project in Qatar (applicable law: Qatar, seat: Doha).
- Ad hoc arbitrator acting for the subcontractor against the contractor in relation to a landmark mixed use development in Dubai (applicable law: UAE, seat: Dubai).
- ADCCAC arbitration acting for the contractor against the subcontractor regarding two construction projects (hospital and hotel) in Abu Dhabi (applicable law: UAE, seat: Abu Dhabi).
- DIFC-LCIA arbitration acting for the contractor against the subcontractor regarding a construction project (hospital) in Abu Dhabi (applicable law: UAE, seat: DIFC).
The Oath covers the news of the hires of Mark Hill and Thanos Karvelis
Charles Russell Speechlys grows Middle East practice with the hire of two new partners
Charles Russell Speechlys’ Dubai office continues to grow with the addition of Thanos Karvelis and Mark Hill as partners.