Terence Bennett, Legal Director
Terence advises individuals in relation to all aspects of lifetime tax and estate planning, executors in relation to all aspects of probate and estate administration, and trustees in relation to the establishment, operation and taxation of trusts.
SummaryTerence has a broad private client practice, advising individuals, executors, trustees and trust companies on tax and estate planning, probate and related matters. He also works closely with the firm's Contentious Trusts and Estates team, to provide advice on taxation and other trust matters. He is a trustee of a charity in Kent set up to support community projects and the upkeep of a listed historic house.
Terence is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Working with Bart Peerless in advising the trustees of a large landed estate on the reorganisation of trust assets for IHT planning purposes following the death of the head of the family, securing a significant IHT saving for the next generation.
- Advising, again alongside Bart Peerless, on the restructuring of a large estate featuring a mixture of in-hand agriculture and let residential property with a view to making the business of the estate “Balfour” compliant in order to shelter additional property from inheritance tax. Now advising the trustees of the same estate on an application to the Court to amend the terms of the trusts using the procedure under the Variation of Trusts Act 1958.
- Advising the executors and trustees of a recently deceased South of England landowner practically on matters relating to probate, and strategically on making appropriate provision for the widow while securing the future of the estate for the next generation of the family. This estate comprised amongst other things heritage property (both buildings and chattels), sporting rights and rivers.
- Advising trustees in Jersey on UK tax and related matters relating to their interests in a 6,000+ acre agricultural estate in the East of England.
- Advising family trustees, in conjunction with the firm’s commercial property team, on the sale of farm land in Buckinghamshire for commercial and residential development.