Sara Sheffield, Partner
Sara Sheffield is a dispute resolution lawyer with extensive experience in complex cross-border commercial litigation and international arbitration based in our Dubai office.
Sara has over 14 years of experience as a commercial disputes, white-collar crime and investigations lawyer between Australia, England & Wales and the UAE. She joined the Litigation and Dispute resolution team as a partner in 2020.
Sara acts in complex commercial litigation in the Dubai International Financial Centre and the Abu Dhabi Global Market Courts in the UAE, and in the English High Court, as well as arbitration matters before local and international centres.
Sara handles a wide range of commercial disputes, often involving cross border issues, with a focus on:
- Shareholder and partnership disputes
- Financial services disputes
- Fraud, asset-tracing and both civil and criminal recovery
- Contentious insolvency matters
- Multi-jurisdictional matters
- Regulatory (e.g. DFSA) investigations
- Enforcement matters
Sara is one of few lawyers ranked in Who's Who: Asset Tracing and Recovery UAE, in 2018, 2019 and 2020. Sara previously worked for the federal prosecution agency in Australia and the Serious Fraud Office in the UK.
- Acting for UAE investment companies in a claim in the DIFC Courts against a global investment bank for AED 100 million+ losses arising from alleged misselling of investment products.
- Acting for a UAE based global crypto-currency trading platform company in respect of a claim in the DIFC Courts against a DFSA-regulated investment company for damages arising from the loss of a significant amount of Bitcoin.
- Acting for a UAE bank in the ratification and enforcement of English and New York judgments in the DIFC Courts, for onward enforcement in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Acting for an individual in connection with an investigation by the Dubai Financial Services Authority for alleged breaches of DIFC Regulatory Law and rules relating to auditors.
- Acting for an individual in a GBP 70 million dispute with a global media agency including an unfair prejudice petition in the Hong Kong Courts and contractual claims in the English Courts.
- Acting for a UAE investment company in an AED 800 million+ partnership dispute with a foreign listed property developer in LCIA arbitration, including related court proceedings in Singapore and the DIFC Courts.
Patrick Gearon FCIArb
Patrick Gearon, Sara Sheffield and Peter Smith write for Lexology Getting The Deal Through on enforcement of foreign judgments in the United Arab Emirates
A quick reference guide enabling side-by-side comparison of local insights into relevant treaties, conventions and other sources of law.
Our international expansion and four new partners across four offices picked up by the press
Charles Russell Speechlys continues international expansion with the hire of four new partners
We are delighted to announce the hire of four new partners across four of our offices.