Rupert is a Senior Associate based in Zurich (Switzerland) and advises corporates, high-net-worth individuals, family businesses, family offices, private banks, trust companies and their advisers on general corporate and private capital related transactions with a specific focus on private acquisitions and disposals, corporate reorganisations (often cross-jurisdictional and relating to private wealth holding structures), joint ventures and fundraisings.
Rupert is also a member of the firm’s Caribbean practice group and advises on various aspects of BVI (British Virgin Islands) law, including general corporate structuring and trust related advice, economic substance and preparing and issuing BVI legal opinions.
Rupert is admitted in practice in England and Wales, the British Virgin Islands (as a BVI solicitor) and as a foreign lawyer to the EU list of the supervisory commission of lawyers for the canton of Zurich and the Swiss Federation.
- Providing BVI expertise and assistance to a key UK based client on a strategic acquisition and financing round.
- Advising a BVI based majority JV partner on the junior partner’s exit from the BVI JV entity. The matter involved advising on both English and BVI law.
- Advising on BVI economic substance including substance classifications and pre and post substance planning and advice.
- Advising a major UK leisure and sports brand on its acquisition and entry into the Swiss market.
- Advising the founders of a Swiss/ UK based business on various financing rounds and commercial matters.
- Advising an international financial services group on the set-up and establishment of its UK asset management business.
- Advising a UK based private equity boutique and co-investors on the sale of a Swiss data centre business.
- For a number of UK corporate clients, acting as an off-site/remote in-house legal counsel, dealing with all corporate and commercial matters.
- Advising an international sports federation on the development of a new international sporting league.
- Advising the investment office of a family office on its venture capital portfolio. The advice included equity and debt-refinancing and encompasses a number of European jurisdictions.
- Advising a privately owned Swiss based trust administration business on its acquisition of a major Swiss based bank’s trust business.
- Advising a UK public private partnership (in the energy technology sector) on a number of its co-investments, venture capital, venture debt and divestments in the UK, Europe and the USA.