Rupa Lakha, Partner
Rupa has significant experience of both contentious and non-contentious areas of construction law.
Rupa is a highly experienced construction lawyer. She has advised on the drafting and negotiation of building contracts and consultants’ appointments and now specialises in project advisory work as well as dispute resolution, including mediation, adjudication and litigation. Rupa regularly acts for all parts of the supply chain, from major developers to consultants to sub-contractors.
Rupa's recent clients have included The Goldsmiths’ Company, The Dorchester Collection, Derwent London Plc, Howard de Walden Estates, Vascroft Contractors Limited and Permasteelisa.
Rupa has been highly commended for her work and expertise, and is regularly quoted in the press. She has also been ranked in The Legal 500 ‘Next Generation Lawyers’ for Construction: contentious and non-contentious and recently was recognised as a ‘Future Leader in Construction’ by Who’s Who Legal. Rupa also leads on the development of the firm’s India Desk, a dedicated group bringing together the firm’s broad expertise to assist British Asians and Indian nationals navigating the complex UK legal spectrum and cross border issues.
Rupa is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Acting for a developer in High Court Proceedings in relation to a claim against its designer and trade contractor for defective air-conditioning in a key office building; the matter was settled successfully through mediation
- Acting on behalf of a provider in a PFI scheme in negotiations for claims against its contractor for defects at a Council headquarters; this dispute was settled through negotiations
- Acting on behalf of a prestigious hotel group in relation to claims against its contractor and professional team
- Acting successfully for a developer in an adjudication on a dispute over a final account with its contractor
- Acting on behalf of a major concrete sub-contractor in high Court proceedings against its insurer; the dispute was settled successfully through mediation
Rupa Lakha quoted by Asian Wealth Magazine on the implications of Covid-19 on the UK construction industry
The challenges of COVID-19 - A compare and contrast between India and the UK
An in-depth discussion on the impact of COVID-19 on the legal sector in the UK and India as well as the Indian economy.