Rory Ashmore, Associate
Rory provides advice on a full range of competition law, merger control, state aid and public procurement issues.
SummaryRory provides advice on a full range of competition law, merger control, state aid and public procurement issues as well as on specific areas of UK sectoral and EU product regulation and contentious matters, notably judicial review. He also assists in the field of Modern Slavery Act 2015 compliance. Rory has also drafted complex compliance documents and market consultation responses to the Office of Fair Trading (now the Competition and Markets Authority). He has also acted on a major piece of competition litigation.
This year Rory spent a three month secondment with a major global non-woven, consumables brand retailer advising its Europe, Middle East and Africa region team on a range of regulatory and compliance aspects as well as general commercial matters. He also spent a very productive secondment in 2013 at the Competition Commission assisting its policy unit with preparing revised guidance for the formation of the new Competition and Markets Authority in April 2014.
Rory is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Advising a major utility in relation to a regulated public procurement process
- Advising a range of businesses, including a trade association, across a number of sectors on Competition Law Compliance (including preparing comprehensive policies and delivering bespoke training)
- Assisting in interventions by Gamma Telecom in numerous regulatory appeals before the Competition Appeal Tribunal and the Court of Appeal
- Advising a major grounds maintenance contractor on a successful challenge to a local authority contract award decision
- Advising an investment fund for renewable energy initiatives on the compatibility of its project finance proposals with the EU state aid rules
- Advising a global private equity house on the merger control aspects across multiple jurisdictions of its acquisition of an international flower distribution business
- Advising various major companies on compliance with the Modern Slavery Act 2015
- Advising on EU product regulation to US-based clients under the Cosmetics Directive, the Low Voltage Directive, the Measuring Instruments Directive and others
News & Insights
Modern Slavery Act 2015 – will the government introduce more stringent obligations on businesses?
Could more stringent obligations be coming to rectify current shortcomings with the Modern Slavery Act?