Richard Flenley, Senior Associate
Richard specialises in property litigation work and has experience in all types of property disputes.
AboutRichard specialises in property litigation work and has experience in all types of property disputes. Richard co-leads the Charles Russell Speechlys HS2 team encompassing a wide range of work advising property owners (and other interested parties) affected by HS2. He also acts for a range of clients including institutional landlords, commercial tenants and residential developers. His client base ranges from major international companies to small businesses and individuals.
Richard's key areas of work include HS2 related work, compulsory purchase work and development based disputes (including as regards disputes between lenders and borrowers on development facilities). Richard also has significant experience of property insolvency issues, energy wayleaves and other energy sector related work, judicial review, contentious and non-contentious lease renewals under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954, possession claims, dilapidations, break options, service charge disputes, rent review and alienation issues. Richard is also a member of the Property Litigation Association as well being on the Association's Education Committee.
Richard is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Advising and representing the Ernest Cook Trust in connection with its petition against the HS2 Phase One Bill before the Select Committees of the House of Commons and House of Lords
- Acting for a North East developer in its claims for compensation following the compulsory purchase of a number of its development sites
- Acting in the important s.106 agreement case of Milebush Properties Ltd v Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council before the High Court and Court of Appeal
- Advising the National Bank of Kuwait in connection with a substantial default by a developer under a facility in excess of £30million
- Acting for a number of commercial landlords in the fallout of the disposal by Morrisons of its “M Local” business and subsequent administration of the buyer
Members of the our Real Estate team will be attending MIPIM 2020, the world’s leading real estate market event in Cannes.
HS2 Update – Largely failed judicial review not the end of the argument
The result should not delay the process as the objectors failed on 9 out of 10 issues.