Raymond Kisswany, Senior Associate
Raymond Kisswany has extensive experience in a range of contentious and non-contentious matters where he advises international businesses on complex commercial issues with a focus on international trade, logistics and transport.
SummaryRaymond Kisswany is a Senior Associate based in Dubai with extensive experience in a range of contentious and non-contentious matters. He specialises in advising international businesses on complex commercial issues with a focus on international trade, logistics and transport. He has broad ranging experience advising various international commercial sectors, including trade financing institutions, insurance, maritime, aviation, energy, infrastructure, mining, manufacturing, technology, hospitality and retail. Raymond’s practice also includes advising on joint ventures, shareholder and distribution agreement related matters. He regularly represents clients in international commercial arbitration and litigation as well as alternative dispute resolution forums. He is fluent in Arabic.
Raymond is regularly featured in speaking engagements and publications discussing recent legal developments and their practical implications on various commercial sectors. In particular, he is the co-author of the UAE chapters for Shipping & International Trade Law (2015) as well as Getting the Deal Through – Trade & Customs (2018).
Raymond is admitted to the New York State Bar as well as the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the US District Court for the Southern District of New York and the US District Court for the Eastern District of New York. He is also registered with the Dubai Legal Affairs Department and the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) Courts.
- Lead lawyer representing clients in excess of 20 international arbitrations and litigations in disputes arising in relation to the OW Bunker insolvency and successfully defended claims or negotiated commercial settlements.
- Instructed by a multinational technology manufacturer in regards to its UAE distribution and importation arrangement; specifically, the various complex supply chain and logistics matters from free zones into the UAE or transhipped within the MENA region.
- Acted on behalf of a leading aircraft leasing corporate in relation to defaults by one of its lessees and in UAE proceedings to retrieve aircrafts. Successfully negotiated with various UAE airport authorities on the retrieval of aircrafts and secured a favourable settlement in relation to the defaults by the lessee.
- Represented a Korean heavy industry manufacturing conglomerate in a multimillion dollar international trade dispute against its GCC distributor. Obtained successful judgments at every stage.
- Advised one of the world’s largest international technology corporates in connection to the applicability of its terms and conditions pursuant to UAE law prior to this corporate entering the UAE market.