Petra Warrington, Senior Associate
Petra acts for private, institutional and commercial clients in resolving disputes and negotiating transactions involving art and luxury assets.
Petra has a wide range of litigation experience involving the ownership, provenance, condition and authenticity of art and luxury assets. She also advises on the sale and purchase of artworks, collection management, loans, import and export, intellectual property protection and terms of business.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Petra studied History of Art at Bryn Mawr College in Pennsylvania and the Courtauld Institute of Art in London and worked in museums, galleries and auction houses in the US and UK.
Petra regularly publishes on art law matters, including in Art, Antiquity and Law, The Art Law Review and the IBA publication, Art Law: Restrictions on the Export of Cultural Property and Artwork.
Petra is recognised for Art and Cultural Property Law in The Legal 500 and Chambers.
Petra is admitted to practice in England and Wales.
- Acting for the successful claimant in interpleader proceedings to establish title to a rare object consigned to a major auction house;
- Advising claimants in relation to recovering property lost during the Nazi era, including in proceedings before the Spoliation Advisory Panel;
- Advising private collectors in disputes over the authenticity and attribution of artworks purchased at auction;
- Drafting terms of business for auction houses and dealers;
- Acting for artists in negotiating commission and representation agreements.
The Art Net quotes Petra Warrington on how the Charities Act will impact restitution cases
A new law will give national museums significantly more power to deaccession works and make progress on restitution cases.
NFTs: arbitration in the digital art marketplace
Fabergé eggs all in one basket: what will happen to Russian art currently on loan overseas?
Corporate Sponsorship of Museums and Galleries - Free Money at What Cost?
Digital Efforts towards Cultural Repatriation
Antiques Trade Gazette and eprivateclient cover the hire of Petra Warrington as a Senior Associate in the Art & Luxury team in London
The firm has added to its art & luxury practice with the recruitment of Petra Warrington as a senior associate.