Niel Coertse, Senior Associate
Niel is a Senior Associate in the firm’s Middle East offices where he is a member of the Construction, Engineering and Projects team. Niel advises and acts for employers, contractors and consultants in disputes arising out of infrastructure, hospital, airport, mixed-use development, energy, and mining projects. He has advised and acted for clients in the GCC region, South Africa and Mauritius.
In particular, Niel has advised clients in relation to disputes on the following projects:
- The construction of a Social Housing Development Project in Bahrain;
- The construction of a large shopping mall development in Qatar;
- The construction of a high-rise mixed-use development project in the Sharjah, United Arab Emirates;
- The construction of a Hospital in Abu Dhabi, UAE;
- A dispute relating to the MEP works in a major airport in Dubai, UAE;
- The construction of an oil storage tank terminal in Fujairah, UAE.
Niel has been registered with the Dubai Government Legal Affairs Department since 2015. Niel is admitted to practice as an attorney in South Africa and holds an LLB and an MCom (Business Management) degree.
- Represents clients in arbitration proceedings in the DIFC-LCIA, ICC arbitration centres;
- Oversees, and reviews claims prepared by client’s claims consultants and provides advice in relation thereto;
- Advises clients in relation to restructuring of projects in distress;
- Drafts and reviews settlement agreements; drafts, reviews and negotiates construction contracts.