Michael Jones, Partner
Michael is a pensions specialist with expertise in advising companies and trustees on all legal aspects of employer sponsored pension schemes.
SummaryMichael is a pensions specialist with over 15 years expertise in advising companies and trustees on all legal aspects of employer sponsored pension schemes. Michael has particular market expertise in advising charities and not for profit entities and in public sector outsourcing. The scope of his advice includes amending and winding up schemes, scheme interpretation issues, scheme mergers, sales and acquisition issues, buy-ins and buy-outs, surplus and deficit issues, complaints to the Pensions Ombudsman and scheme funding discussions.
Michael is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Advised a major US entity on the £600m buy-out of it UK pension scheme
- Advised a party in the Pensions Action Group resulting in a change in legislation regarding FAS entry and benefit levels.
- Advised charity on its solvency in light of ongoing pension liabilities
- Advised on closure to future accrual of a household named employer’s pension plan
- Advised the non-UK employer in respect to transferring the liabilities of its pension schemes into its retained business
News & Insights
Social impact and environmental, social and governance factors in investment: pension trustees’ duties and listening to the membership
We explore the Government's recent consultation looking at ESG factors in pension trustee investment.
Investing “to do well and to do good”: what can pension trustees do without personal liability for breach of trust
Occupational pension scheme trustees should take into account all financially material factors when making investment decisions.
The Wedgwood pension scheme
Michael Jones analyses the Wedgwood pension scheme and the case of the disappearing museum...