Melanie Tomlin, Senior Associate
Melanie is an experienced construction and engineering lawyer, providing advice across the full scope of construction issues ranging from procurement and contract strategies through to dispute avoidance and resolution.
SummaryMelanie is an experienced construction and engineering lawyer, providing advice across the full scope of construction issues ranging from procurement and contract strategies through to dispute avoidance and resolution. Her expertise includes advising on procurement of projects, standard form contracts (including JCT, ICE, NEC, FIDIC, GC/Works, MF/1, LOGIC, IChemE) including PFI and alliance contracts, subcontract terms and consultancy agreements, bonds and guarantees, collateral warranties, development agreements, agreements for lease, pre-construction services agreements and letters of intent.
Melanie's dispute management experience covers all of the principal forms common to the industry, including mediation, expert determination, adjudication, arbitration and litigation.
Melanie also has significant in-house experience, having completed two senior secondments within the rail and highways divisions in the largest infrastructure consultancy in the UK, WS Atkins Plc, and so has direct experience of the requirements of organisations working within the infrastructure and engineering sectors. She is co-author of the "Procurement Route" chapter in the recently published ICE Manual of Construction Law and the editor of the RICS online portal (iSurv) for the section on NEC3 contracts.
Melanie is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Advising contractors and consultants on a range of major infrastructure projects and disputes in the UK, including roads and rail systems
- Advising a marine contractor on construction contracts in North Africa
- Advising both contractors and developers in respect of the construction contracts for various high-profile PFI housing schemes
- Advising a world famous London hotel in a substantial final account adjudication regarding the refurbishment of their penthouse suites, as well as in respect of their £multi million refurbishment scheme and related tunnel contract
- Advising on several EPC and O&M Contracts for various PV solar projects across the UK