Karl is a barrister with over ten years’ experience advising individuals and corporates on a broad range of financial services, regulatory and white collar crime issues. These include matters related to regulators within the UAE (DFSA and FSRA) and multi-jurisdictional matters involving foreign agencies (SFO, DOJ, SEC, BaFin, OFAC and the FCA). He is experienced in large investigations into bribery and corruption, fraud, money laundering, as well as advising individuals on extradition and INTERPOL related matters (including Red Notices). Karl has particular knowledge of whistleblowing investigations ( for both the individual and corporate) as he was previously seconded for a year to the Global Investigations team of an international investment bank advising on whistleblowing cases.
Karl has also acted in relation to criminal confiscation, civil asset recovery and related enforcement proceedings.
Prior to joining the Dubai office, Karl worked in London for a boutique Tier 1 Financial Crime firm, prior to which he practised at the UK Bar for seven years during which he was instructed as junior counsel to a Barclays’ derivatives trader charged by the SFO with conspiracy to manipulate LIBOR, and instructed as part of the FCA investigation into global FX trading.
- Acting for the Audit Principal of a Big Four firm in respect of an investigation by the Dubai Financial Services Authority for alleged breaches of regulatory law, related to the Abraaj Group fraud.
- Advising a FinTech on a multi-jurisdictional regulatory investigation.
- Advising the CEO of a private Bank in a regulatory investigation into alleged currency manipulation in the Middle-East.
- Advising a corporate in connection with a public inquiry and related criminal investigation.
- Advising a UHNWI on multiple criminal and regulatory investigations in Europe and the United States.
- Advising a former oil executive on a DoJ bribery investigation, including ancillary civil proceedings.
- Advising a corporate in enforcement proceedings in the UK High Court.