Jonathan specialises in data, technology and commercial law and leads the Data Protection and Privacy practice group at Charles Russell Speechlys. He advises clients across a broad range of sectors (including technology, financial services, healthcare and retail) on all issues relating to data protection and privacy. This includes advising in relation to, amongst other areas, complex commercial transactions with a data or technology element, managing compliance projects in the UK and internationally, cross border and domestic data transfers, preparing for and dealing with data security breaches and data subjects exercising their rights.
Jonathan is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Implementing, reviewing and refining data protection compliance programmes, including data audits, data mapping exercises and compliance programmes as stand-alone exercises or alongside information security programmes (i.e. ISO 27001 assessments and follow-up audits).
- Advising businesses on complex commercial and corporate transactions for which the use of data or technology is materially important.
- Advising on cross border (and domestic) data transfers. This has included advising a global technology company through its application for UK Binding Corporate Rules, as well as assisting clients to comply with the rules regarding the use of Standard Contractual Clauses and/or the UK International Data Transfer Agreement and undertaking associated transfer risk assessments.
- Advising in relation to contentious data protection matters, including in relation to major ICO investigations, immediate data breach response and the associated defence of compensation and other legal claims (alongside our specialist litigation team).
- Managing and advising in relation to complex subject access requests.
- Supporting businesses across a range of sectors (including healthcare and construction) on the Freedom of information and Environmental Information Regulations regimes (including in relation to their interaction with privacy laws).