Jonathan Brown, Partner
Jonathan Brown has over 25 years’ experience, split between private practice and in-house work, advising on contentious and non-contentious matters with a focus on international trade, logistics and transport.
AboutJonathan Brown is a Partner based in Dubai with over 25 years’ experience split between private practice and in-house work. He advises on contentious and non-contentious matters where he is typically instructed by international businesses in relation to complex commercial issues with a focus on international trade, logistics and transport. He is known for his broad ranging experience advising various international commercial sectors. This includes trade financing institutions, insurance, maritime, aviation, energy, infrastructure, mining, manufacturing, technology, hospitality and retail. His specialisation also includes advising on joint ventures, shareholder and distribution agreement related matters. In addition, Jonathan is highly regarded for his representation of clients in international commercial arbitration and litigation as well as alternative dispute resolution forums.
Jonathan is regularly featured in speaking engagements and publications discussing recent legal developments and their practical implications on various commercial sectors. In particular, he is the co-author of the UAE chapter for Getting the Deal Through – Trade & Customs (2018).
Jonathan was Head of Contentious Business at a Magic Circle firm in London and Dubai and then joined CMA-CGM as Director of English Law in Marseille, France. He then joined AECOM as General Counsel & Vice President in Dubai. Prior to joining Charles Russell Speechlys, Jonathan was Head of Maritime, Transport & Trade at one of the UAE’s most prominent law firms.
Jonathan is a qualified Solicitor in England & Wales as well as being registered with the Dubai Legal Affairs Department and the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) Courts.
- Represented a logistics service provider in relation to a dispute with the United Nations. The subject matter of the dispute was the provision of supply chain management to various UN Missions in Sub-Saharan Africa. A practical commercial settlement was achieved.
- Acted on behalf of a chemical manufacturer in connection with allegations of breaches of US and EU Iranian sanctions regimes. This dispute involved long term supply contracts and complex shareholder agreements. Successfully had the allegations dropped.
- Instructed by regional airline in connection with various disputes arising in relation to jet engine leasing agreements. Represented clients in arbitration proceedings and negotiated a commercial settlement.
- Acted on behalf of a Fortune 500 multinational security systems manufacturer in arbitration proceedings in connection with disputes arising out of a global restructuring process. Successfully negotiated a commercial settlement.
- Represented a major container shipping line in arbitration proceedings in a dispute with a consumables supplier in connection with US Department of Defense contracts for supplies to Afghanistan. The matter eventually ended on favourable settlement terms.
News & Insights
Getting the Deal Through: Complex Commercial Litigation
Jonathan Brown and Raymond Kisswany have contributed to Getting the Deal Through: Complex Commercial Litigation.