John has practised in the Middle East for over 15 years and has a solid track record of obtaining successful outcomes for his clients in domestic, regional and international litigation and arbitration matters.
John is able to expertly navigate the disputes process in both common and civil law jurisdictions; and to provide clients with advice which takes into account the practical realities of operating in, and out of, the region. In addition to his significant experience of commercial matters in sectors including real estate, healthcare, transport and logistics and shareholder disputes which is reflected in his ranking as ‘Next Generation Partner’ for both litigation and arbitration in leading global directories Chambers Global 2022 and the Legal 500 2022. John is the only UAE-based lawyer recommended as a Global Leader for professional negligence disputes by Whos’ Who Legal’s Global Guide 2022. He was also included in the inaugural Legal 500 Arbitration Powerlist Middle East (2022) and shortlisted for the Middle East Rising Star Award in the Chambers Middle East Awards 2023.
- Defending a professional services firm in claims arising out of the joint audit of a Kuwaiti company, including regulatory, criminal and multiple civil claims.
- Successfully defending a USD $125 million civil claim asserting professional negligence and fraud filed against a professional services firm in the context of audit and advisory engagement entered into with a UAE Listed Company.
- Representing a professional services firm in DFSA Regulatory Proceedings concerning breaches of DFSA audit standards.
- Successfully obtaining and enforcing a significant award for damages in relation to a cancelled real estate project in the UAE on behalf of a group of individual investor clients in DIAC arbitration proceedings.
- Representing a UAE free zone authority in successfully obtaining a significant award in arbitration proceedings relating to a developer’s breach of construction obligations.
- Representing a high-profile regional healthcare provider in DIFC Court proceedings relating to the unlawful termination of a services agreement seeking damages in excess of USD $30 million.