Jodie Martyndale-Howard, Associate
Jodie works alongside Paula Boast and advises on local and international construction claims management, disputes, litigation and arbitrations throughout the Middle East region.
Jodie has worked advising on Contractor to Employer and Sub-Contractor to Main Contractor claims relating to issues from delays, variations, termination, as well as design and quality issues.
In addition, Jodie assists with drafting of construction contracts such as EPC Turnkey, Design & Build as well as subcontracts, using both bespoke forms and regionally recognised standards including the FIDIC 1999 and 2017 suites.
Jodie is admitted to practice in England & Wales.
- Advising a major Bahraini Contractor in respect of two arbitrations under the BCDR Rules as well as claims in the Court of Urgent Matters, First Instance and Court of Appeal by a subcontractor. CRS successfully advised on a jurisdictional challenge in respect of one of the arbitrations and have managed to reduce the claims subject to the arbitration.
- Advising a major Bahraini Contractor in respect of various claims relating to projects in Bahrain and the UAE. This includes 2 ongoing arbitrations. The first under the BCDR Rules was subject to bifurcation in which CRS successfully argued that the Bahraini Contractor was not time-barred from bringing its claims in the arbitration. The second arbitration is under the ICC Rules and remains ongoing.
- Advising a consortium in respect of claims arising out of the development and construction of an IWPP plan in Bahrain.
- Advising a major Greek contractor in respect of its claims relating to a major mixed-use development in Cyprus including UNCITRAL Arbitration proceedings relating to the same.
- Advising an arm of the Bahraini Sovereign Wealth company in respect of the termination of a construction contract and subsequent mediation relating to the same. Primary issues relate to delay, force majeure and termination.
- Advising a Qatari Contractor in their ICC arbitration proceedings relating to Dukhan Road East Project regarding variations, termination and counterclaims.
- Assisting with providing analysis of claims for a construction dispute in relation to Employer delays coupled with Contractor quality issues arising out of design.
- Providing advice in relation to delays and possible termination of construction contracts to include assessment of claims arising out of said termination.
- Assisting with claims and disputes in the courts of England & Wales involving Middle Eastern registered companies and nationals.
A New Era: English Language Litigation in the Kingdom of Bahrain
Over the past six months, there has been a significant shift in domestic litigation in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
A New Era of Litigation in Bahrain
From aluminium smelting by-product to making the desert green
The Effect of Contractor Insolvency on Construction Projects in the Middle East
GCC countries have now introduced new bankruptcy laws as they have become necessary due to the inward investments.
Patrick Gearon FCIArb
Charles Russell Speechlys Wins Bahrain Law Firm of the Year Award at The Oath Middle East Legal Awards 2018
Our Bahrain team has been announced as the winner of the Bahrain Law Firm of the Year Award at The Oath Middle East Awards 2018.