Jason Freedman, Partner
Jason advises on all aspects of insolvency.
Jason advises on all aspects of corporate and personal insolvency law, acting for office holders, secured and unsecured creditors, debtors and other stakeholders. He specialises in contentious insolvency litigation and cross-border fraud and asset tracing, focusing on dishonesty claims and antecedent transactions. He also has significant experience in acting for office holders, companies, directors, shareholders and secured creditors in relation to administrations and administration sales, and advises suppliers in respect of ROT claims in retail administrations.
Jason is a member of the R3 Association of Business Recovery Professionals and sits on the R3 Fraud Group.
Jason is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Acting for the Joint Liquidators of Greensill Limited (a subsidiary of Greensill Capital UK Limited (in administration)) in relation to a US$600m receivables programme. Presently advising the Joint Liquidators in relation to claims of c. $440m against certain of the Katerra group of companies (all of which are in Chapter 11 in the US Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas, Houston Division), and leading a team in relation to document gathering and investigations generally
- Advising the liquidator of a hospitality company in relation to the recovery of monies siphoned by the director to a BVI company and used to purchase property in Barbados; Jason assisted the liquidator in locating the director in Barbados and subsequently obtaining a worldwide freezing injunction against the director and the BVI company and seeking recognition of the same in Barbados
- Advising the joint liquidators of a group of payroll companies that were set-up to defraud the Crown, with funds being diverted to Dubai and Pakistan
- Advising the liquidators of a cryptocurrency exchange with a COMI in England and offices in Germany and Malta that was the subject of a €30m international bitcoin fraud
- Advising the Special Administrator of a Gibraltarian investment fund in relation to claims for dishonest assistance and negligence against a firm of solicitors, and the trustees of a related Gibraltarian bankruptcy in relation to the investigation and recovery of offshore assets
Nowhere to go – Recent High Court case highlights roadblock to overcoming director deadlock
Construction & Insolvency webinar
Our webinar gives insight into how Covid impacts termination of contracts and insolvency of a member of the supply chain.
Privilege and Fraud – when can the iniquity exception override legal professional privilege?
Jason and Heidi look at when the can iniquity exception override legal professional privilege
Adjudicating Construction Disputes and Enforcement – Practical Tips for Insolvency Practitioners
Jason looks at adjudicating construction disputes and enforcement and offers practical tips for Insolvency Practitioners
Charles Russell Speechlys advises ALDO UK's administrators, RSM, on the sale of the business and assets
Our Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency team has advised ALDO UK's administrators, RSM, on the sale of the business and assets.
Retail Recovery: Restructuring
How the retail and food & beverage sectors can reset, restructure and plan for the future?
Supreme Court decides that reflective loss rule does not bar claims made by unsecured creditors
A review of the recent Supreme Court judgment which significantly narrowed the scope of the rule against recovery of reflective loss.
Decline in the Retail Sector: an Insolvency Perspective
Reviewing the impact of the decline in the retail sector and options available to lenders considering an exit strategy.
Jason Freedman's promotion to partner covered in New Law Journal and Global Restructuring Review
Charles Russell Speechlys strengthens its insolvency practice with promotion of Jason Freedman to Partner
Jason Freedman has been promoted to Partner in the Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency team.
Legal Week report on Charles Russell Speechlys' role in sale of Pod to Azurri Group