James Worthington, Partner
James is a construction lawyer experienced in contentious and non-contentious work in respect of a large range of construction, infrastructure and regeneration projects.
James is a construction lawyer experienced in both contentious and non-contentious work in respect of a large range of construction, infrastructure and regeneration projects. He advises developers, housebuilders, contractors and funders on all types of construction documentation including domestic and international standard forms of construction contracts. He is also experienced in advising on a wide range of disputes in different dispute resolution forums, including mediation, adjudication and litigation.
James has drafted the commentary on the JCT Standard Building Contract 2016 for the Isurv website and has published articles in Building, Construction News and Civil Engineering Surveyor. James is ranked as a 'Recommended Lawyer' in Legal 500.
James is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Advising Countryside Properties on the development of 2,600 homes at Eastern Quarry, Ebbsfleet
- Advising on the construction contracts for the $1.1 billion airport modernisation project at Bahrain International Airport
- Advising on a number of operation and maintenance contracts for the London Array wind farm
- Advising on the construction contracts for the refurbishment of Balfron Tower, a Grade II listed 27 storey tower consisting of 146 apartments
- Advising on a large estate regeneration scheme at Myatts Field, consisting of the demolition of 303 existing units and the construction of 808 new homes and a new community facility and park
- Advising on the defence of a claim for over £15 million arising out of alleged defects in the glass cladding of a building in the City of London
- Advising on a multi-million pound adjudication arising out of the Crossrail project
- Advising on a multi-million pound claim in the TCC against three defendants regarding defective foundations in a number of residential properties
Construct.Law - Summer 2021
Click here to read the summer edition of our construction & infrastructure publication - Construct.law
Powering Real Estate
Is it plausible to meet the governments ambitious plan to get new houses off the gas grid by 2025? Watch our webinar here
James Worthington writes for Construction News on the way in which the courts will handle leaseholder claims relating to defective cladding
Defective cladding: how will the courts handle leaseholder claims?
Keeping Up With Construction: Handover at Practical Completion - Practical Pointers
Practical tips for the handover of a successful project.
Construct.law - Winter 2020
Read the latest edition of Construct.Law bringing your legal and commercial insight into issues facing the construction industry.
James Worthington and Carolyn Davies write for Building on ways to challenge liquidated and ascertained damages clauses
James Worthington and Vanessa Jones write for Building on the scope to omit works under a building contract
Construct.Law - Summer 2020
Welcome to our summer edition of Construct.Law bringing your legal and commercial insight into issues facing the construction industry.
Essential law: Variations - Part one
Most construction contracts will include a definition of what is a “variation” under that contract.
Drones in construction – designing for urban air mobility
Exploring how the current environment will help to increase the use of drones in the construction industry for data collection.
The New Normal: How can the risks associated with Covid-19 be addressed in future construction contracts?
C&I Webinar and H&S Handout
The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 sets out the overarching legal framework for health and safety legislation in the UK.
Charles Russell Speechlys advises Puma Property Finance on the funding of a new 150-bed hotel development
Puma Property Finance invests to fund the development of a new 150-bed “Hampton by Hilton” hotel in Buckinghamshire.
James Worthington and Vanessa Jones write for Construction News on the implications of alleged fraud on adjudication awards
James Worthington and Sara Cunningham write for the Practical Law Construction Blog on the use of drones in construction
Expert witnesses – what is the scope of their duty?
James Worthington and Karen Morean write for Practical Law Construction on the duties of firms providing expert witness services.
James Worthington and Vanessa Jones write for Building on the scope of right to instruct variations
Charles Russell Speechlys advises Puma Property Finance on a £8.5m development loan to fund purpose-built student accommodation (PBSA) in Brighton
Charles Russell Speechlys advised Puma Property Finance on a £8.5 million loan to finance student accommodation in Brighton
James Worthington quoted in Building following a roundtable on the theme of 'building smart'
Charles Russell Speechlys advises Puma Property Finance
This transaction further builds on Puma Property Finance’s extensive activity in the retirement living sector.