James Eighteen, Partner
James is a commercial litigator and regulatory lawyer who specialises in the sports, gambling and TMT sectors.
SummaryJames is a commercial litigator and regulatory lawyer who specialises in the sports, gambling and TMT sectors. James has extensive experience of the sports sector. He provides contentious and regulatory advice to governing bodies, individuals and teams, regularly appearing before disciplinary panels, the High Court and the Court of Arbitration for Sport. James has acted for key stakeholders such as The Football Association, The British Horseracing Authority, Premiership Rugby and the Greyhound Board of Great Britain for many years. This experience is complemented by having advised leading athletes and clubs in a wide range of proceedings. James is ranked as an up and coming individual by Chambers & Partners and ranked in Legal 500. He lectures on the BASL/DMU postgraduate certificate in sports law and regularly speaks at conferences in the sports sector.
Away from sport, James’ experience of the gambling sector includes regulation and licensing of casinos, the Gambling Act 2005 and acting in contentious matters for and against bookmakers. In addition, James has experience of a wide range of IT and telecoms matters, acting for clients such as Arqiva, Atos, Tesco Mobile Limited and Securitas.
James is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Acting for The FA in the Hillsborough Inquests
- Acting for the IAAF before the Court of Arbitration Sport in relation to proceedings arising from the Russian doping scandal.
- Successfully defending the fairness of the Greyhound of Great Britain rules before the Court of Appeal
- Advising Premiership Rugby on the application of its salary cap.
- Acting for London Welsh against the RFU / Newcastle Falcons
- Advising Red and White Holdings Limited on its shareholding in Arsenal FC
- Arqiva v Orange & T-Mobile