Ian Lynam, Partner
Ian has expertise across a wide range of commercial, corporate and regulatory areas in the sports industry.
SummaryIan is a non-contentious sports lawyer with expertise in a wide range of areas including sponsorship agreements, financial regulation of sport (including salary caps and financial fair play), mergers and acquisitions in sport, financing, governance, rules and regulations, transfers, player contracts, image rights and the use of data analytics. He is joint head of the industry leading Sport practice at Charles Russell Speechlys.
Ian is a contributing author to a number of leading textbooks including “Sport: Law and Practice”, "The Sports Law Review" and "The Negotiator’s Desk Reference". He contributes to legal journals on sports law issues and writes an intermittent column for The Guardian newspaper. He regularly speaks at conferences (domestic and international) and lectures on the BASL/DMU Post-Graduate Certificate in Sports Law, University College Dublin's Masters in Sports Management and the Law Society of Ireland’s Diploma in Sports Law.
Ian is ranked as a “Leading Individual” in Sport by Chambers and Legal 500 and as one of the nine “Most Highly Regarded Individuals” for sports law globally by Who’s Who Legal.
Ian is admitted to practise in England & Wales, Ireland and New York.
- Advising Farhad Moshiri on the acquisition of 49.9% of Everton FC
- Advising Nike on some of its most high profile kit sponsorship deals
- Advising a wide range of footballers including Cesc Fabregas, Raheem Sterling, Thierry Henry and many others on transfers, player contracts, image rights and sponsorship agreements
- Advising Premiership Rugby on its Salary Cap and a range of regulatory work
- Advising Paddy Power Betfair plc on brand and sponsorship issues including its tongue-in-cheek marketing campaigns
- Advising football clubs including Everton FC, Chelsea FC, Middlesbrough FC and Brighton & Hove Albion FC
- Acting on behalf of Cyclone Promotions and Carl Frampton on the negotiation of the rematch with Leo Santa Cruz at the MGM Grand.
- Advising Red and White Holdings Limited on its shareholding in Arsenal FC
- Advising financial institutions and clubs on receivables financing in football
- Advising other governing bodies, leagues and rightsholders including The FA, Welsh Rugby Union, FIBA, Scottish FA, GBGB, BAGS and the Indian Super League
News & Insights
Gaining the Advantage 2017 – Sport, Tech and the Law
We will be joined by a selection of industry specialists to discuss the latest converging issues between sport, technology and the law.
Gaining the Advantage - Sport, Technology and the Law - Conference
Charles Russell Speechlys and LawInSport's conference "Gaining the Advantage" discussed the latest issues between sport, technology and law.