David Paxton, Partner
David is a specialist real estate development lawyer advising investors and developers on the full spectrum of development and investment deals and projects.
David advises on the whole life cycle of UK and international development and investment projects from working with key stakeholders during the pre-heads of terms stage through to completion and then either sale or onward operation/asset management. Structures range from corporate and contractual joint ventures with development management services through to forward funding, forward purchase and major OJEU procured projects. David also advises on sales and purchases of a wide range of commercial and residential real estate.
David has broad sector experience having worked for a major international real estate developer as well as for a top international real estate law firm; his sectors include commercial, residential, build to rent, hotels and leisure, student accommodation and sports stadia. He has advised FTSE 100 companies, major international developers, national house builders, pension funds, HM Government, real estate investment funds, sovereign wealth funds, royal families, ultra-high-net-worth individuals and overseas investors. The nature of these transactions often require him leading and co-ordinating a cross departmental team providing advice on associated planning, construction, tax, finance and corporate issues.
Having commissioned as an officer at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst and served as a Captain in the British Army, David is known for his ability to deliver results to his clients on the most demanding of assignments. Whether it is advising on high profile and complex projects or more sensitive projects with their own unique challenges, he works closely with clients from conception of the deal through to exit and is praised by clients for his ability to guide and lead them through the ‘noise’ of a deal by identifying the potential stumbling blocks and providing a clear strategy, tactics and solutions to deliver a successful outcome.
He is an active member of the Investment Property Forum.
- Advising the government and HS2 on the £5.8 billion 25 year regeneration of the Euston estate in London (from pre-heads of terms through to exchange of the development agreement) and closing the deal with Lendlease in April 2018 within a tight 9 month timeframe.
- Advising the owner of Chelsea Football Club on the £1 billion redevelopment of Chelsea football stadium and the surrounding estate
- Advising Barratt Developments Plc on a £140 million forward purchase JPUT structured build to rent scheme in Nine Elms, Aldgate Place and Fulham Riverside, London with US multi-family operator, Greystar
- Advising a leading London developer on the development and structuring of a luxury ‘senior living’ scheme with a major US Wall Street investment bank in prime central London
- Advising a national house builder on a £500 million joint venture with a real estate fund for a mixed use development scheme in Hertfordshire
Members of our Real Estate group will be attending MIPIM the world's leading property market, on 12-15 March.