David Haines, Partner
David specialises in all forms of commercial and residential property litigation.
SummaryDavid specialises in all forms of commercial and residential property litigation and has particular expertise in commercial dilapidations claims, covenant and easement disputes, compulsory purchase order work, leasehold enfranchisement, and commercial landlord and tenant matters. He leads the firm's contentious Compulsory Purchase and Collective Enfranchisement teams, as well as Charles Russell Speechlys' dedicated HS2 team, which has been set up specifically to assist clients affected or potentially affected by HS2. David has a well established reputation and nationwide practice, acting for a variety of clients, which include CitySprint, The Ernest Cook Trust and Warrant Investments PLC.
David regularly speaks at seminars and conferences on a variety of property based subjects (including for RICS, CPD Essentials and The Law Society). He also contributes articles, including to the Estates Gazette and Property Law Journal. David is also a Roll B Parliamentary Agent.
David is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Acting for Barrie House (Freehold) Limited in a multi million pound collective enfranchisement claim lasting over 6 years to successfully acquire the freehold of Barrie House in London [Merie Bin Mahfouz Company (UK) Ltd v Barrie House (Freehold) Ltd - Court of Appeal:C3/2015/1459]
- Acting for a major Japanese electronics and telecommunications company in negotiating its complex exit from its large UK HQ premises and move to new premises
- Acting for and advising CitySprint UK in respect of its property portfolio (including lease renewals, break notices, rent review and dilapidations work)
- Acting for clients in respect of various HS2 claims, including petitions to the House of Commons and House of Lords to secure concessions and assurances in respect of the HS2 scheme and land acquisition
- Acting for Forest Property Developers Ltd in successfully objecting to confirmation of the London Borough of Newham (Sugar House Lane, Stratford) Compulsory Purchase Order 2014 to exclude the key part of the client’s site from compulsory acquisition
News & Insights
Government proposes sweeping changes to tenant evictions
New consultation on proposals to end “no fault’ evictions under Section 21 of the 1988 Housing Act.
HS2 Update: Petitioning Against Phase 2A Begins
The passing at Second Reading means it is significantly closer to Phase 2a becoming reality.
Charles Russell Speechlys announces headline sponsorship of the Toast of Surrey Business Awards 2018
The awards celebrate the county's leading companies, business leaders and community initiatives.