David Cooney, Partner
David specialises in international private client and trust structuring work, primarily for ultra-high net worth families.
David works with ultra-high net worth clients, trustees and private banks to establish trusts and other wealth planning structures. He advises on all aspects of the set up and maintenance of those structures. David has developed particular expertise in the establishment of complex international trusts, having headed up the private client and trusts team in a key offshore jurisdiction for 5 years and in ownership structures for super yachts.
David is admitted to practise as a solicitor in England and Wales and is a Chartered Tax Advisor. He was admitted as a Cayman Islands attorney at law in 2012 and as a BVI solicitor in 2014.
Legal 500 EMEA 2019 described David as 'Fast, efficient and a brilliant standout lawyer' who is 'technically impeccable'.
- Advised on the acquisition, registration and ownership structure in relation to a US $180m super yacht
- Advisor to institutional trustee in respect of one of the largest trust structures (by value) in the Cayman Islands
- Assisted multiple clients in the establishment of Cayman Islands licensed trust companies
- Established a large trust structure involving multiple private trust companies, trusts and underlying companies for a Latin American family
- Drafted a suite of precedent trust documentation for a large multi-jurisdictional trust company, including Cayman Islands STAR Trusts