Darren Bailey, Consultant
AboutDarren has decades of experience in sports law and sports regulation leadership roles, both in house and in private practice. He is a consultant to the firm and is Co-Founder of Sport 360.
Darren is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Partner and Head of Governance at a leading sports law firm acting for a range of clients including international federations, football clubs and major events.
- Author of the entirely new global regulatory framework for Rugby Union when the game became professional.
- Represented the International Tennis Federation in high profile High Court, Court of Appeal and Court of Arbitration for Sport proceedings to variously defend the principle of strict liability in anti-doping codes and the appropriate application of European law to sports regulation.
- First Director of Legal and Legislative Affairs at the International Rugby Board (now World Rugby) and Rugby World Cup, including overseeing the legal aspects of commercial and anti-infringement programmes for the 2003 and 2007 Rugby World Cups and sevens events in Argentina, Hong Kong and Dubai.
- Represented Rugby World Cup in the New Zealand Select Committee process that saw the Major Event Management Act introduced in to New Zealand law to provide special protection for the commercial and ticketing programme for the 2011 Tournament.
- Director of Football Governance and Regulation at the FA responsible for managing a team of 75 sports personnel and leading in areas such as discipline, anti-doping, integrity, financial regulation, legal, refereeing, competitions, professional game services, player status issues and on field and off field regulatory matters.
- Chief Regulatory Officer of the Football Regulatory Authority.
- Director of The Professional Game Match Officials Ltd the company that oversees elite professional refereeing.
- Chair of the Expert Group on Good Governance established by the European Commission responsible for identifying the 10 Principles of Good Governance for Sports Bodies.
- Member of the Sports Betting Integrity Panel 2009/10.
- Co-chair of the UK Sports Betting Integrity Forum and former member of the Sports Betting Group.
- Established the FA Integrity unit and overseen various integrity investigations, promoting closer liaison with the Gambling Commission and law enforcement bodies.
- Editor of Sports Law Journal Sports Law Administration and practice for 20 years.
Private Equity News quotes Darren Bailey on the Americanisation of UK football
“We’re seeing an Americanisation where the matchday is turning into much more of an entertainment beyond just the sporting spectacle”
Private Equity News quotes Darren Bailey on US investment in European football
“Relegation, or a failure to qualify for European competition, can have catastrophic financial implications for clubs in Europe."
The Financial Times quotes Darren Bailey on the European Super League and the landmark case at the ECJ
“A win for the clubs may well lead to a far more fragmented football landscape"
City AM quotes Darren Bailey on the European Super League and the upcoming hearing at the ECJ
“The ramifications of the ECJ judgment for the future shape of football… cannot be underestimated".
Emma Raducanu - "Serving to Unite the Nation" - The Future Protection of Sporting Events of National Interest
"The WinnerS Take It All"
In a sports setting, it is most unusual to see so many winners arising out of a decision by a rights holder to share rights.
Darren Bailey quoted by City AM on why a salary cap is unlikely to succeed where Financial Fair Play failed in making European football more competitive
The solution to football’s problems may require more fundamental change.
Darren Bailey quoted in The Times on the risk of litigation for international sporting bodies over the inclusion of transgender athletes
Laurel Hubbard's inclusion in the female competition at the Olympic Games in Tokyo may provoke legal challenges.
Darren Bailey quoted by Citywire on the unseen battle between the American and European models of sport
Fans and regulators are paying more attention to how clubs and competitions are financed at a time when sports need capital.
Darren Bailey quoted extensively on the legalities of the European Super League proposals
Darren considers the legal questions that exist around the introduction of a European Super League.
Darren Bailey quoted by the Financial Times on the regulation of the sports betting industry
As the UK moves to a more regulated model, the US is throwing open the doors on the regulation of the sports betting industry.
Darren Bailey quoted by SportsPro on the UK government’s ongoing review of gambling sponsorship
A new code of conduct for betting firms rather than an outright ban on sports sponsorship is the likely way forward.
Lower League Football, COVID-19 and Beyond: The Bridge to a Sustainable Future
Our team propose a series of measures to help football recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, to build a bridge to a sustainable future.
Darren Bailey interviewed on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme and quoted in the Financial Times, The Telegraph and The Guardian on football’s Project Big Picture proposals
Darren Bailey and Danielle Sharkey quoted by BBC Sport on the future of women's football in the UK
The Score: Insurance
Join us as we talk about insurance in the world of sport.
Darren Bailey quoted in The Times on the resumption of the Premier League
The Score: Employment
This episode focuses on employment issues in sport in light of COVID-19.
The Score: Public Health – Resumption of Sport
Discussing the importance of public health and what measures sport organisations will have to implement for the resumption of sport
Darren Bailey appeared on BBC Radio 5 Live’s Wake Up To Money and BBC WM in wide-ranging interviews on the new ‘sports economy’