Chris Haywood, Senior Associate
Chris advises clients from the Art & Luxury sector on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious matters. He is also a dual-qualified Solicitor and Chartered Trade Mark Attorney.
Chris leads the expansion of our Art and Luxury practice in the Middle East from our office in Dubai.
He acts for a broad range of clients - from artists, collectors, museums, financiers, and galleries through to luxury brands and international wine merchants. He advises on both contentious and non-contentious matters, and has particular expertise in managing and protecting their intellectual property rights, including copyright, moral rights, and global brand portfolios.
He is a dual qualified Solicitor and Chartered Trade Mark Attorney, is admitted to practice in England and Wales, and is a registered legal consultant in Dubai. He has represented clients from London, Paris, and the Middle East, and has conducted proceedings in the EUIPO, UKIPO, English High Court, and in international arbitration proceedings.
Chris is a LexisNexis contributing author, has published and delivered seminars on the interface between law and architecture, and has served on a number of CITMA working groups.
- Advising an artist/curator in respect of the minting and auctioning of a one-of-a-kind NFT at Sotheby’s;
- Advising on cross-jurisdictional (Hong Kong, Switzerland, England) debt financing matters where culturally significant artworks have been taken as security;
- Representing clients in relation to disputes surrounding the scope and application of the Artist’s Resale Right;
- Advising a leading international wine merchant in relation to the protection and growth of its brand;
- Representing a renowned astronomical artist in litigation in the High Court in relation to copyright infringement;
- Advising an artist’s estate on its management and commercialisation of an important sculptor’s copyright;
- Working with an international gallery on the licensing of its image catalogue;
- Assisting private collectors in numerous consignments of Art & Luxury objects to galleries and auctions ranging from fine art to Hermes bags;
- Acting on behalf of clients in numerous claims against the major auction houses;
- Advising the commercial arm of a landed estate on a variety of matters including the establishment of its representation agreements for high value artworks.
Gallery and Museum openings scheduled for the 2020s
Immersive experiences - continuing growth
Golubovich v Golubovich - English Courts to rule on Russian art collection
Bullfighting ... as a copyright work?
The British Museum’s new BM Arc storage and research facility
Antiques Trade Gazette and eprivateclient cover this firm's hire of art and luxury asset specialist Chris Haywood in Dubai
Chris joins the firm as a Senior Associate in the Dubai office.