Alison is a senior insolvency and restructuring partner with over 30 years’ of experience in advising insolvency practitioners, financial institutions, directors, corporates, shareholders and other stakeholders dealing with financial difficulties. She advises on contentious and non-contentious matters and has extensive experience of resolving disputes by mediation.
Alison advises across all sectors. Her recent experience includes advising the administrators of the Insect Technology Group in relation to four trading administrations. This involved advice on a restructuring in tandem with a sales process across a number of different jurisdictions including Belgium, the Netherlands, Singapore, India and the USA.
She has advised boards of directors on a number of confidential restructurings since the new measures introduced by the Corporate Insolvency and Governance Act 2020 (CIGA) were introduced in order to achieve consensual restructurings.
She has also been advising the administrators of a number of serviced office providers in relation to the restructuring of their businesses and lease obligations.
Alison is well connected in the restructuring and insolvency market and is regularly invited to speak on current topics of interest. She is also the co-chair of the R3 Back to Business UK campaign, which has sought to persuade directors of the benefits of taking early advice on restructuring options to secure the best prospects for rescue of the business as a going concern.
"Alison is excellent, technically very hands on and delivers consistently high standards of work” “She has a very strong reputation for contentious work and she is a good player in the market place.” Chambers and Partners UK 2021
Alison Goldthorp is admitted to practice in England & Wales
- Alison led a team which advised Brian Johnson and Peter Kubik of UHY Hacker Young as the administrators of the Insect Technology Group in relation to its cross border international business, seeking a refinancing and restructure whilst at the same time also looking for buyers of its business as a going concern in Europe, Asia and the USA
- Alison regularly advises boards of directors on the options available to restructure their businesses using the new options introduced in the Corporate Insolvency and Governance Act 2020 .
- Alison advised a number of counterparties to contracts with Carillion and Interserve (including boards of directors, investors, lenders and an NHS trust) on their contractual position and their strategic options in light of the insolvency of their contracting party,
- Alison has acted in relation to a number of high profile administrations and liquidations for the office holders, on the sale of the business and then on steps which could be taken to take action against third parties to increase the realisations for creditors including the Martha Thompson, Matthew Tait and Dernot Power as administrators and liquidators of Farepak Food and Gifts and Halliwells LLP
- Alison advised David Pike and Will Wright then of KPMG now at Interpath as the administrators of HMV on the strategy of sale of retail stores, the disputes relating to stock in the stores and the resulting sale of the business as a going concern in 2019