Alice Martin, Senior Associate
Alice offers UK and cross border estate planning to wealthy individuals, their families and their professional advisers.
Alice works with UK and international clients, advising on UK taxation and estate planning. Her clients include UK residents and those outside the UK with international cross border elements. Alice is often asked to find estate planning solutions where the family circumstances are complex (for example, where there are succession issues arising from second marriages and/or family owned businesses to be passed on).
Alice advises on issues of domicile, to help clients understand this crucial concept and how it impacts on them. Alice also advises on the UK Statutory Residence Test, so clients understand when they may become UK tax resident and what this means in terms of their UK tax exposure. Alice has a focus on advising clients with US connections, which includes UK citizens and former UK residents who have moved to the US, or US families and their structures with UK connections.
Alice also advises on issues of mental capacity. She has experience of working with attorneys and assessing how a lack of capacity may impact on existing estate planning arrangements. Alice’s clients include trustees, fiduciaries and family offices who we advise in connection with UK taxation and compliance, including the UK Trust Register.
Alice has a particular interest in advising clients in the media, arts and entertainment industries.
After almost ten years with Charles Russell Speechlys in London, Alice and her family moved to Zurich in 2016.
In 2019, Alice founded a network for professional working parents in Switzerland, “Swiss City Parents”.
- Explaining why ‘domicile’ matters and its impact on estate planning for UK citizens moving to the US
- Drafting Wills for clients with assets in the UK and the US
- Advising trustees of the UK tax issues of the Settlor and/or Beneficiaries becoming UK tax resident
- Analysing the UK tax treatment of foreign entities, such as Foundations
- Advising on the transfer of valuable art on the change of trusteeship
- Preparing a UK tax disclosure for non-UK domiciled a client who had been receiving substantial benefits from offshore trusts which were not previously reported
- Advising entrepreneurs on structuring the family business to maximise tax efficiency and prevent succession disputes among the family