Alexander Caton, Legal Director
Alex advises on all aspects of Private Client work, including tax, estate planning, Powers of Attorney and Wills.
AboutAlex advises on all aspects of Private Client work, including tax, estate planning, Powers of Attorney and Wills. He also advises clients and trustees in relation to the establishment, operation and taxation of trusts. His particular specialism is in advising landed estates, their owners and / or trustees, and landowning and agricultural clients generally. Alex is a qualified Trusts and Estates Practitioner (TEP) and a Fellow of the Agricultural Law Association.
Alexander is admitted to practise in England and Wales.
- Advising a large consortium of Oxfordshire landowners in relation to a land pooling trust with a view to the eventual development of the site
- Advising the trustees of a Gloucestershire landed estate in the implementation of a "Balfour" holding and trading structure for the estate
- Advising the trustees of a Gloucestershire landed estate in relation to a Heritage Maintenance Fund for the estate and other, associated, heritage tax reliefs
- Advising the trustees of an estate of the multi-million pound sale of the estate, the division of the proceeds between the beneficiaries, and the minimising of tax liabilities resulting
- Advising landowners generally in relation to their tax and estate planning needs, in particular in relation to the use of partnerships
Covid throws stark light on need for Lasting Powers of Attorney, as the case of Derek Draper shows
Another furnished holiday lettings case is lost by the taxpayer...
Tristram van Lawick
Landed Estates: The Whole Estate Plan
How the current market demonstrates the need for a clear whole estate plan rather than approaching each matter in isolation.
Alexander Caton writes for Tax Journal on the Office of Tax Simplification's review of capital gains tax
Landed Estates and Historic Properties: Rishi Sunak’s Summer Statement
Serious reform of CGT takes a step nearer…
Anyone for the pub? Sunak's VAT cut should help the rural hospitality sector...
What should I consider when gifting heritage and farm property assets?
Listen to Alex Caton and Louise Paterson discuss gifting heritage and farm property assets.