The Telecoms Operators of Small States (“TOSS”) conference
The Telecoms Operators of Small States (“TOSS”) conference was attended this year by Mark Moncreiffe and Elora Mukherjee.
As its designation suggests, the conference is attended mainly by CEOs and Chief Officers of small state operators as well as suppliers of products and services to the communications industry. This year’s participants included operators from Cabo Verde, Cyprus, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar. Jersey, Malta (to name but a few). Participants are provided with a forum in which to explore and discuss common challenges relating to their size and local market conditions.
Charles Russell Speechlys had the unique advantage of being the only law firm to attend, giving us the opportunity to freely market our regulatory/communications, commercial and corporate capabilities to both delegates and sponsors at the conference.
Key findings identified during the round-table discussions included:
- Challenges and opportunities are often presented to Telecom Operators in Small Market Economies in light of the transformation of the telecommunications industry over the past 15+ years from monopolies to full competitive markets;
- A number of key initiatives have been taken by incumbent operators to maintain their profitability following the introduction of competition to smaller markets;
- The nature of telecommunications is changing from a voice to a data business and there has been a noticeable effect on network investment;
- There has been significant growth in data traffic and a resulting effect on regulatory / net neutrality obligations;
- The operating structure of the telecoms industry is changing over various areas such as access and interconnection / network infrastructure sharing / consolidation / M&A activity across the sector;
- The Internet of Things will be the source of a multitude of business opportunities for mobile network operators and is already impacting upon MNO infrastructure;
A number of insightful presentations were given, which can be accessed via: TOSS PRESENTATIONS