Expert Insights

Expert Insights

Representative of an Overseas Business

Applicants can apply to enter the UK as a Representative of an Overseas Business (also known as a Sole Representative visa) if they are from outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland and they are either;

  • a sole representative of an overseas company planning to set up a branch or a wholly owned subsidiary for an overseas parent company for the first time in the UK or;
  • an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long term assignment to the UK

To be eligible for this visa as a Sole Representative applicants must;

  • Apply from outside the EEA;
  • Be recruited and employed outside the UK by a company whose headquarters and principle place of business are outside the UK;
  • Have extensive related industry experience and knowledge
  • Intend to establish the company’s first commercial presence in the UK
  • Be a senior employee and not a majority shareholder
  • Not have a representative already in the UK
  • Meet the required level of the English language
  • Have sufficient funds to support themselves
Length and Conditions of stay in the UK

Leave to enter is granted for 3 years with a further extension of 2 years if certain conditions are met.

Applicants are only permitted to work in the UK in relation their role as the overseas representative and must remain employed by the overseas company.

Indefinite Leave to Remain

This visa category can lead to settlement once an applicant has completed a period of 5 years and can show that they meet certain criteria. Applicants will be eligible to apply for British citizenship after a further year of obtaining a settlement visa.   

Are Dependants allowed under this Category?

Applicants are allowed to come with or be joined by their dependants i.e. spouse/partner (unmarried partners must show 2 years cohabitation) and children under the age of 18 at the date of the visa application.  Dependants need to show that the main applicant can maintain and accommodate them without recourse to public funds.  

How can we help?

Our immigration team are experienced in preparing successful applications for Representatives of an Overseas Business and will provide expert guidance and assistance to you throughout the process.  If you need further information and advice about this route, please contact Rose Carey, Paul McCarthy or Katherine Dennis.

Our thinking

Share this Page