Focus Antitrust - 24 June 2020
In The News
Supreme Court confirms that Visa and Mastercard interchange fees restrict competition
The Supreme Court has upheld the finding of the Court of Appeal that Visa and Mastercard interchange fees restrict competition. Click here.
CMA revises provisional findings in Amazon/Deliveroo case
The CMA has issued revised provisional findings in relation to Amazon’s 16% investment in Deliveroo, provisionally concluding that it is not likely to result in a substantial lessening of competition. Click here.
CMA opens abuse of dominance investigations into excessive and unfair prices for hand sanitiser products
The CMA has opened abuse of dominance investigations into suspected charging of excessive and unfair prices for hand sanitiser products during the coronavirus pandemic. The investigations relate to four pharmacies and convenience stores. Click here.
- The European Commission has opened an in-depth phase 2 investigation to assess the proposed merger of automotive companies Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. and Peugeot S.A. The Commission is concerned that the proposed transaction may reduce competition with respect to light commercial vehicles (vans) below 3.5 tonnes in the European Economic Area and, more specifically, in 14 EU Member States and the UK. Click here.
- The European Commission has opened an in-depth phase 2 investigation to assess the proposed acquisition of Refinitiv by the London Stock Exchange Group. The Commission is concerned that the proposed acquisition may reduce competition in trading and clearing of various financial instruments and in financial data products. Click here.
- The Rt Hon. Lord Andrew Tyrie, Chairman of the CMA, has confirmed that he intends to step down from his current role in September 2020. Click here.
- The CMA is proposing to refer YPO’s anticipated acquisition of Findel for a detailed phase 2 merger investigation, unless the parties offer suitable undertakings in lieu of a reference. The CMA considers that the merger raises competition concerns in the supply of resources to educational institutions in the UK. Click here.
- The CMA’s report into the anticipated acquisition by Gardner Aerospace Holdings Limited of Impcross Limited has been published. The Secretary of State for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) has also announced a consultation on undertakings offered by Gardner Aerospace Holdings Limited regarding the abandonment of the transaction. Click here.
News & Insights
Cladding/EWS1 Forms – What’s it all about?
It is good news that the housing market can continue to operate, with appropriate safeguards, throughout this third national lockdown.
‘Subject to contract’ – The effect of these words in settlement negotiations
The importance of the ‘subject to contract’ label during settlement negotiations and communications.
FCA publishes listing rule on enhanced climate-related disclosures and clarifies existing obligations
Premium listed commercial companies should start addressing what they need to do to make the required disclosures in sufficient detail.