Focus Antitrust - 2 May 2018
In The News
CMA proposing to refer SSE/Npower merger
The CMA has concluded that the merger of SSE Retail and Npower could lead to higher prices for some energy customers, following its initial investigation. The parties now have the opportunity to offer undertakings in lieu of a reference for a detailed phase 2 investigation. Click here.
CMA proposing to refer Tarmac acquisition of concrete plants
The CMA has concluded that Tarmac’s proposal to acquire 27 ready-mix concrete (RMX) plants from Breedon gives rise to competition concerns in the supply of RMX in the Cardiff, Bridgend and Carnforth areas. The parties now have the opportunity to offer undertakings in lieu of a reference for a detailed phase 2 investigation. Click here.
- The European Commission has conditionally approved the acquisition of parts of Bayer's Crop Science business by BASF. This transaction is related to the Bayer/Monsanto merger divestment commitments. Click here.
- The European Commission has approved the acquisition of steel wheels manufacturer Mefro Wheels by Accuride. The decision is conditional on the divestment of Accuride's European business Gianetti Ruote. Click here.
- The CMA has sent its final report to the Secretary of State in relation to the Fox/Sky merger. Click here.
- The CMA has issued a statement in relation to the announcement that Sainsbury’s and ASDA propose to merge their operations. The CMA notes that the merger is likely to be subject to review by the CMA. Click here.
- The Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has confirmed that he has decided to issue a Public Interest Intervention Notice to intervene on public interest grounds in the merger between Trinity Mirror plc and Northern and Shell Media Group Limited. Click here.
This article was written by Paul Stone. For more information, please contact Paul on +44 (0)20 7203 5110 or at email@example.com.
News & Insights
Limitation of the force majeure clause
On 3 July 2018, the High Court issued its judgment in the case of Seadrill Ghana Operations Limited v Tullow Ghana Limited.
Government responds to House of Lords Select Committee Report on Artificial Intelligence
This article examines a (non-exhaustive) selection of Committee recommendations that are of particular interest from a legal perspective