Focus Antitrust - 12 December 2018
In The News
European Commission opens phase 2 investigation into proposed acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global's business in the Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary and Romania
The European Commission has opened a phase 2 investigation to assess Vodafone's proposed acquisition of Liberty Global's business in the Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary and Romania. The Commission is concerned the takeover may reduce competition in Germany and the Czech Republic in relation to retail telecommunications and retail TV services. Click here.
European Commission accepts commitments from TenneT in relation to electricity trading capacity between Denmark and Germany
The European Commission has accepted commitments from German grid operator TenneT in relation to cross-border flows of electricity between Denmark and Germany. The commitments require TenneT to ensure that a specific level of guaranteed capacity is available at all times. Click here.
Articles 101 and 102
- The General Court has dismissed an appeal by Coveris Rigid France against the European Commission’s decision in relation to the retail food packaging cartel. Click here.
- The European Commission has approved the acquisition of Spectrum Brands' batteries and portable lighting business by Energizer, both active in the supply of consumer batteries. The approval is conditional on the divestment of Spectrum Brand's regional Varta business. Click here.
- The European Commission has approved the acquisition of Houghton by Quaker, both producers of industrial lubricants. The decision is conditional on the divestment of Houghton's EEA businesses related to certain lubricants used to produce steel and aluminium. Click here.
- The European Commission has approved the proposed acquisition of Gemalto by Thales. The approval is conditional on the divestment of Thales' general purpose hardware security modules business. Click here.
- The European Commission has approved the proposed acquisition of MKM by KME, both suppliers of copper products. The approval follows a phase 2 investigation by the Commission. Click here.
- The European Commission has conditionally approved the acquisition of Armstrong World Industries' ceilings business outside the Americas by Knauf. Both companies are active in the production and supply of modular suspended ceilings. Click here.
- the CMA has decided to refer PayPal’s takeover of iZettle for a phase 2 investigation. The CMA announced it was proposing to make a reference on 26 November and PayPal chose not to offer proposals for undertakings in lieu of a reference. Click here.
For more information please contact Paul Stone on +44 (0)20 7203 5110 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
News & Insights
Property Professionals: Strategic Land Tax Time Bomb
This episode looks at all things tax.
Focus Antitrust - 21 October 2020
The latest edition of our regular Focus Antitrust update.