Focus Antitrust - 14 June 2017
In The News
European Commission opens phase 2 investigation into Qualcomm's proposed acquisition of NXP
The European Commission has opened an in-depth investigation to assess the proposed acquisition of NXP by Qualcomm under the EU Merger Regulation. The Commission is concerned that the transaction could lead to reduced competition in the semiconductor industry. Click here.
CMA proposes to refer Heineken/Punch pub merger to phase 2 investigation
The CMA has found that Heineken's proposed purchase of part of the Punch Taverns estate could reduce competition in 33 local areas. The parties now have the opportunity to offer undertakings in lieu of a reference. Click here.
Articles 101 and 102
- The General Court has handed down its judgment on an action for damages for the infringement of the obligation to adjudicate within a reasonable time in relation to an appeal against the flat glass cartel. The Court has ordered the European Union to pay compensation of EUR 655,000 to Guardian Europe Sàrl to cover additional bank guarantee costs. Click here.
- The European Commission has published its decision to refer the acquisition of the South Western rail franchise by First MTR South Western Trains Limited to the UK. Click here.
- The European Commission has approved the acquisition of Intrum Justitia by Nordic Capital. The decision is conditional on the divestment of the companies' overlapping debt collection and debt purchasing activities in Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Norway and Sweden. Click here.
- The European Commission has approved the proposed acquisition of Actelion Pharmaceuticals by Johnson & Johnson. The decision is subject to conditions in relation to the clinical development of insomnia drugs. Click here.
- The CMA has provisionally decided to release merger undertakings covering FirstGroup and local authority tendered bus services in the Greater Bristol area. Click here.
- The CMA has accepted undertakings in lieu of a reference in relation to the completed acquisition by SSCP Spring Topco Limited of Acorn Care 1 Limited. Click here.
This article was written by Paul Stone.
For more information, please contact Paul on +44 (0)20 7203 5110 or at email@example.com.
News & Insights
Premier League piracy predicament keeps us ‘hooked’
Commentary on the latest developments at the Premier League regarding piracy of live match content.
Thumbs up – A company that embeds the Like button on its website can be considered a data controller jointly with Facebook
Companies that embed the Facebook “Like” button within their website pages can be considered as a joint data controller.
Charles Russell Speechlys advises Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Bahrain on the formation of BNet BSC
The culmination of a ground-breaking three year project which will transform the telecommunications landscape of the Kingdom of Bahrain.
Ofcom Consultation on the protection of TV and radio programme participants
Ofcom consults on proposed new broadcasting rules aimed at extending existing protections afforded to participants in TV and radio.